• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id flycatcher in SE Arizona in August (1 Viewer)

The bill looks fairly heavy and hooked, so I'm leaning toward Brown-crested.

Here are two photos for you to compare to yours. The bird next to the utility pole is a Brown-crested.

C371B6BD-114C-4D77-A03E-B8FD71C13050_1_201_a.jpeg

6EA288DB-E168-434F-9AB5-FB71C9A221DD_1_105_c.jpeg

Did you hear any vocalizations at all? That is often the most simple/reliable way to distinguish the two. My nmemonic for Brown-crested is an emphatic series: "What, what, what, beer, beer, where is it? where is it?" (the first part is more like wut! wut!, wut!). Ash-throated gives pips and a more anemic call that some people describe as a police whistle- my mnemonic is "pt-weer!"

It's clearly in a mesquite tree, but can you give any more details on the location? It's not definitive, because there is a broad overlap in habitat, but Brown-crested tends to be in bigger washes or canyon bottoms, while ash-throated is more likely to in sparser vegetation.

Other id features that aren't as easy to see in this pic, typically there is more contrast on the front in Brown-crested, with slightly brighter/yellower underparts. I've never used the tail pattern but Ash-throated apparently has darker tail tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back