• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland in January/February (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

My wife would like to visit Iceland to celebrate her **th birthday which is at the end of January 2006.

We would probably visit in February (to coincide with half term).

What would the birding be like then? Would we have a chance of birds such as Barrow's, Harlequin & Gyr?

Also, is there any whale watching to be done at this time of year? If not, when might the best time of year to go?

Any information gratefully received.

Hi Rob
Suggest you PM Edward, who lives there. He knows all the sites and where to find what, and is an all round top bloke (even if he is a Lancastrian) ;)

I am hoping to go there next year myself if time and money permit.

DOH, just noticed where your from, no offence honest (I'm a tyke).

No offence taken - I'm a Cestrian (Cheshire) by birth but my father was a Yorkshireman so I'm an adopted son of the White Rose - my heroes were Boycott and Old - trouble is I bat like Old and bowl like Boycott!!

Jules Sykes said:
Thanks Stuart, I had lost the link to this, Edward actually writes for this website as well as Yann.

I had also lost it but I found it easily by searching with 'Iceland' as one key word and Edward's surname as the other !

Stuart

StuartReeves said:
I had also lost it but I found it easily by searching with 'Iceland' as one key word and Edward's surname as the other !

Stuart

..which is easier if you know his surname!!

Thanks to all - great feedback on the birds.

Anyone out there know about the possibilities of Whales - do we need (as I suspect) to postpone until the summer?

Hi Rob

I recently had an enjoyable holiday in Iceland and although it was not a birding holiday, saw a number of species fairly easily. However May this year in Iceland was unusually cold and although we went on a boat trip from Husavik (well known for good sightings of whales) we didn't see any as the weather was just too cold. For this reason if you want to see whales a trip later in the year might be more successful.

Anna

Hey up Rob,

I too am a Cestrian, a Stopfordian to be more precise, but was born in Manchester city centre, which makes me a Lancastrian as well to some extent.

Birding is possible at any time of the year, including January and February, but there are obvious disadvantages with coming at that time, mainly the short daylight hours in January. Once you get into February then it's similar in terms of daylight to Britain and the daylight starts racing away once you're in March, and by mid-April it's like mid-summer in Manchester in terms of daylight.

Early January and you can't start birding until 11 in the morning and it's all over by 3:30. Early February you're looking at about 9-5 in daylight hours. The weather is very unpredictable, you might get sunshine and -10°C (as my brother did when he came over from Australia in February), you might get +10°C and drizzle or you might get literally hurricane force winds and sleet as Steve Lister did when he came in March (he also had warm sunshine one day too - it's a mixed bag). In fact read Steve's trip report here
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/iceland/iceland2/ice-mar-05.htm

January and February are, however, very good times to see your target birds Harlequin, Barrow's Goldeneye and Gyr Falcon. Harlequin is easy, Barrow's should be easy at this time of year, and Gyr Falcons are seen in Reykjavík in winter but you may have to work a little bit for them. As for other birding, then you'll see more Glaucous and Iceland Gulls in one day than you'll see in a life time's birding in the UK. Steve Lister counted over 1,000 in Reykjavík harbour on one day and there are many many thousands more in the general area.

However, the best time to visit Iceland for a first time visitor is undoubedtly late May into June. All breeding birds are back, auks are on the cliffs (Brünnich's Guillemot is very rare in winter but there are several hundred thousand pairs in summer), breeding waders are noisy and conspicuous (50,000 pairs of Red-necked Phalarope for example) and Iceland's special ducks are very easy to find. Gyr Falcon can be found if you go the right areas (not in summer in Reykjavik). We had two excellent sightings on a recent trip I led in NE Iceland. You've also got 24 hour daylight at this time of year. This picture was taken at 01:50 a.m for example
http://www.hi.is/~yannk/myndir/rarity/yk_tadfer260605.jpg

What Iceland lacks in number of species, it makes up for in number of individuals and many species have massive breeding populations. I think it's safe to say that you'll see the odd Golden Plover or Whimbrel if you come in late May. Furthermore, with relatively few birders you've got a good chance of finding something yourself.

There are no whalewatching trips in winter, and they don't start going until May. As Anna says May was unusually cold in N Iceland this year but Húsavík usually provides excellent sightings of whales in June 2003 they had 10 different Blue Whales on one trip! Late May is an excellent time to see Killer Whales off western Iceland too but July is the month for Blue Whales.

So basically late May would be the best time for birding, June and July for generally enjoying the countryside but it's certainly possible to come here in February. Let me know if you want any more info.

E

Edward,

Thanks - this is just what I needed!

Common sense suggests that we leave our trip until Easter at least, and possibly even Whit (late May/early June).

Although I would love to get the three birds mentioned I am aslo mad on white-winged gulls so Steve's trip report has realy whetted my appetite.

I shall do some research into "packages" and trips and see what comes up. I think my aim of doing this as a surprise is a little ambitious - it might make sense to ensure that the planning is right.

Thanks again for the information - I'll be in touch.

Rob

Ok Rob, I'll be hearing from you.

If you have a bit of a thing for white-winged gulls then March is the best time but some Iceland Gulls linger on over the summer. We saw maybe 20 or so on the tour I led in May. However, the ratio of Glaucous Gulls to Herring Gulls one day was 800:1. The British birders thought that that was pretty funny. We also found a Ross's Gull on that trip.

E

PS accommodation prices generally increase from 1 June onwards

Hi Rob,

Easter it is then, Easter's quite late nextyear so some migrants will be in and it's a good time to see what geese get up to after they leave the UK and Ireland. You'll have no chance with phalaropes though.

Since you mentioned whale-watching, then some British birding friends of mine went out from western Iceland at the weekend and saw 2 Blue Whales, a Fin Whale, lots of Orcas and stacks of White-beaked Dolphins. Another group had Humpbacks and lots of Minke from the same place last week. There's plenty to go at!

E

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back