• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I bought the Audubon BUT!!! đŸ˜Ĩ (1 Viewer)

johnbaz

Hi all

I went yesterday and tried the Aubon mk2's, They were scruffy but worked well with a lovely clear and bright view, I arrived home and removed the dirt, Also made a repair to the case then when I tried them on my back garden I noticed the focus getting a little tight in one spot, It gardually got worse and now I daren't force it in case something breaks ☚ī¸ ☚ī¸

29abJO8.jpg

TNzq8Of.jpg

kMoKwBR.jpg

GI8ryGX.jpg

John...

Seems I threw ÂŖ50 away yesterday!! đŸ˜¯

After x number of years there is probably some grease/gunk/dirt buildup in the focussing mechanism. A CLA will probably solve your problem. Whether this is for the professional or something you can attempt yourself only you can decide.

After x number of years there is probably some grease/gunk/dirt buildup in the focussing mechanism. A CLA will probably solve your problem. Whether this is for the professional or something you can attempt yourself only you can decide.
CLA?, Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term :unsure:

John 🙂

From the serial number your binoculars were made in 1976 and the markings indicate it was distributed by Swift-Pyser. Hopefully, there is a binocular repair shop in your area that can do the CLA for a reasonable price.

Good luck,
Ed

PS. Take special care to protect & refurbish the rubber eyecups with Armorall after gently removing them from the oculars. They are literally impossible to replace. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
From the serial number your binoculars were made in 1976 and the markings indicate it was distributed by Swift-Pyser. Hopefully, there is a binocular repair shop in your area that can do the CLA for a reasonable price.

Good luck,
Ed

PS. Take special care to protect & refurbish the rubber eyecups with Armorall after gently removing them from the oculars. They are literally impossible to replace. :rolleyes:

I removed them already and washed them with dishwashing soap :giggle::giggle:, They still seem nice and rubbery!

I found a shop very close to me that repairs optical gear, Binoculars included so i'll pay them a visit after this covid lockdown is over!!

Kind regards, john (y)

Hi,

congratulations - these look like a good find for the price - even if you have to spend another 50 quid for some lubrication.

Joachim, who would probably try it himself...

Hi,

The Audubon has a ring inside the bottom of the focus wheel which governs the tension on the wheel.

If it is slightly loose ( it is locked into position with a tiny grub screw on the side of the wheel) it will sometimes move as the focus wheel is turned and result in the wheel either getting tighter or looser. Exactly what you experienced.

It is a simple fix and should not be too expensive.

Gary

Hi,

The Audubon has a ring inside the bottom of the focus wheel which governs the tension on the wheel.

If it is slightly loose ( it is locked into position with a tiny grub screw on the side of the wheel) it will sometimes move as the focus wheel is turned and result in the wheel either getting tighter or looser. Exactly what you experienced.

It is a simple fix and should not be too expensive.

Gary
Many thanks Gary 👍

John 🙂

Hi

Just an update with these bins, I tried them today along with about ten more bins and the focussing tightness seems to have totally gone!! đŸ˜¯

I compared these with the Zeiss Dekarem that I bought recently and I reckon the Swift are actually a better, Brighter view, How long for I don't know as when I looked through the objective lenses I could see what seems like dirt or maybe fungal blooms starting!!, I'll have to get them sent in for a service soon 👍

Cheers, John 🙂

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back