• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummingbird overpopulation around feeders? (1 Viewer)

haclarke

I live in the Sierra foothill community of Oakhurst, California elevation 2,500 ft. Very dry, very hot summer. I live on an acre that abuts 70 acres. Recently moved my three feeders from central courtyard area to the outer side of my carport. Suddenly I went from maybe a dozen to at least a hundred hummers. Mix of Rufus and Annas. Is there any issue with this large of a population in one area. They are as grouchy as ever but are begrudgingly sharing. Don't mind keeping up with the sugar water supply but can they survive on only sugar water? I don't notice them flying off for bugs (I'm working in the carport).

I live in the Sierra foothill community of Oakhurst, California elevation 2,500 ft. Very dry, very hot summer. I live on an acre that abuts 70 acres. Recently moved my three feeders from central courtyard area to the outer side of my carport. Suddenly I went from maybe a dozen to at least a hundred hummers. Mix of Rufus and Annas. Is there any issue with this large of a population in one area. They are as grouchy as ever but are begrudgingly sharing. Don't mind keeping up with the sugar water supply but can they survive on only sugar water? I don't notice them flying off for bugs (I'm working in the carport).

Hi haclarke

I live in the East Bay. Oakhurst is pretty country.

No issue at all with the Hummer Population at your feeder. The behavior of the birds tends to change depending on whether they are nesting or migrating. Nesting Hummers tend to show more territoriality and aggression when it comes to its feeding grounds. Migratory birds just want to fuel up and hit the road, or should I say sky. The Rufous Hummers you see are probably migrating south. Are you seeing many ? The Annas' hang around so they you might see more aggressive behavior out of them.

Your post also expressed concern about the birds gorging themselves on the sugar water to the exclusion of protein and the detriment of their health. I seen this question asked before and have seen the reply that the birds know when to call it quits with the fuel. Oakhurst is pretty rural and I can't imagine there would be any shortage of bugs.

If I were you I would sit back and enjoy it as long as you can afford the cost of Sugar

overpopulation

annamaniac thx for reply. worried because have never seen so many before. I have a few annas year round so I always leave a feeder in front and in back. Last year a lone male stayed close to the backyard feeder. After a long night of freezing temps he was guaranteed a meal. (I put a timed light on the feeder to keep it thawed.

wow

Wow. I guess I have nothing to worry about. Mine are like that but with only three spaced eight feet apart its the difference between rural traffic and downtown Los Angeles rush hour.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back