• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many songbirds fly to and fro in a Labour MP's garden? (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

The following article is from today's London based Indpendent newspaper.

How many songbirds fly to and fro in a Labour MP's garden?
By Michael McCarthy, Environment Editor

12 May 2003

It sounds like a New Labour advert: nobody's got a bird garden like our Environment minister. But it's true.
In the half-acre plot behind his house in Winterton, near Scunthorpe, Elliot Morley has at least 20 different species of wild birds breeding, from goldfinches to willow warblers, from stock doves to spotted flycatchers. There are probably few, if any, domestic gardens in Britain that can boast more.
While spin doctors could proclaim that this shows Labour's green ministers to be truly eco-friendly, it has to be said that Mr Morley's remarkable mini-nature reserve is not the result of any government policy. It is entirely down to his own lifelong enthusiasm as a birdwatcher.
The Minister for Fisheries, Water and Nature Protection is following in a long tradition of passionate ornithology among senior politicians, which goes back at least to Edward Grey, the Liberal foreign secretary before the First World War (the man who famously said, "The lights are going out all over Europe.") and has included such Tory grandees as Kenneth Clarke and Michael Heseltine.
But in his devotion to birds Mr Morley, Scunthorpe's MP and an Environment minister for the past six years, may well top them all, if his garden is anything to go by. It contains the nests of virtually all the common birds most people hope or expect to see on their lawns or in their shrubs, such as blackbirds, song thrushes, starlings and robins. (House sparrows breed nearby but not in the garden.) It also houses mistle thrushes, dunnocks and wrens, great tits and blue tits, chaffinches greenfinches and goldfinches, stock doves, collared doves and woodpigeons, willow warblers and blackcaps, spotted flycatchers, house martins and a pair of tawny owls.
Mr Morley suspects at least one other species – coal tits – may be breeding too, and he has high hopes that in future one of Britain's most threatened birds may also nest. That is the tree sparrow, which like its cousin the house sparrow, has crashed in numbers nationally, but even more disastrously, with a drop of more than 90 per cent in its population over the past few decades, probably largely because of intensive farming.
These attractive birds with their chocolate-brown caps are regular visitors to the garden and Mr Morley is hopeful they may start breeding soon. But they are by no means the only visitors: at least another 25 species call in from time to time, including long-eared owls, bullfinches, long-tailed tits, goldcrests, treecreepers, pied wagtails and great spotted woodpeckers. So what's the secret?
First of all, the Morley garden starts out with some natural advantages. Set at the back of an old house, it is not only fairly large, it also contains a clump of large mature trees, which are the oldest and tallest not only in the village, but for some distance around. Mr Morley believes the lime, ash, yew, sycamores and horse chestnuts are visible and attractive to birds in the surrounding countryside as nesting places.
Secondly, Mr Morley manages the garden for birds, which means letting undergrowth and creeping plants grow freely everywhere.
Thirdly, he uses artificial encouragements as widely as possible, with 10 nest boxes and six bird feeders, with special seed mixes to attract different species and feeding continuing in summer as well as in winter.
"The key to it is giving the birds cover, with no disturbance in the nesting areas," Mr Morley said. "I don't often go in the wilder parts of the garden. I don't spray or treat it with anything, and I weed by hand when I have to. I let nature take its course as much as I can."
Mr Morley and his wife, Pat, have three cats – two young Birmans named Cleo and Misty and an adopted old stray called Tabby – but they have had no impact on the bird population; nor have a whole succession of Morley family cats. "If they start catching birds, we put bells on them," he said.
Birdwatching, and indeed, observation of all the natural world has been Mr Morley's principal interest since he was a boy in Liverpool, roaming the sand dunes of the Lancashire coast, the Dee estuary and the hills of nearby North Wales.
He still keeps a pager alerting him to rarities; it went off while I was talking to him at the weekend, telling him of a Savi's warbler singing at Leighton Moss nature reserve in Lancashire. The pager was lying on the coffee table. I wondered where his official Labour Party pager was. He grinned and lifted his jacket: that one stays strapped to his belt.
Even bird-mad Labour ministers have to retain their sense of priorities

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back