• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long does it take to get to 500 (BOU/BUBO) (1 Viewer)

Nojon

Jon Holt
As I drift slowly towards 500 I was wondering how long it would take to get there had I not almost stopped twiiching for 20+ years. I hit 400 in 1990 getting 21 ticks in that year. That was subsequently followed by two years with 12 and 14 ticks. Then I got engaged, married, had kids etc.. . .
Assuming that it would realistically take 3 years to get to 400 (Didn't Billy Simpson have that record first?) going for everything! then averaging at around 10 ticks per year (including Ireland) is there anyone under 30 years old with a list over 500?
So there's another question - who got from 400 to 500 in the shortest amount of time in the 90/00s: Brett, Paul, Malcolm, Tony ...

Jon

I can't answer for others but I never quit, was just limited by funds and time off work. I hit 400 in 1989(Red-breasted Nuthatch: what a cracker for the big number) and it then took me till 2004 to reach 500 (Ovenbird: another cracking Yank). Fifteen years, the last few inching along at only a few species a year - certainly less than ten. Since then I've lurched onwards to 534, but this year is thin with only the Dusky Thrush..... there's a lot riding on that for me, I've never had a blank year.

How many have you got to go?

John

What you really need is some dedicated person the police all these lists; they could then provide you with the answers ;)

Still got a dozen to go, so a few years away yet.

I suppose I could just do the maths by looking at Lee's old uk400 lists. Fastest from 400 to 500 would have to be in 'the zone' and go for evrything and manage to keep it sutained for 10+ years.

Its not just money and time, there's psychological twitch fitness.

Jon

Thanks for the plug Dan (and it's time for buying Xmas pressies boys ' gals ;) )

I saw my 400th spp in 1996 when I kept just a single list (prob a compromise between UK400 & BOU) and I took until 2008 to see my 500th BOU/ IRBC. If you take out the Oirish stuff (as many do but let's NOT go into that!) then I didn't get to 500 until 2011 or 12.

Don't know who got to 500 quickest and I haven't seen Lee's rankings in a few years now. Maybe Chris Batty, with Bonser, Clifton, Piner, Clewes, Mulvey and a few others in contention. As for the new generation Dan Pointon is probably the keenest and he's still in his early twenties. No idea how many he's seen.

These days I average 2 or 3 new birds a year but somehow managed 5 this year (despite missing several twitchable 'ticks'!) All a bit harder now with a wife and kid, and I'm rarely in the 'Advance Guard', more likely to show up on day 2 or 3 of the twitch if it's an island somewhere. Increasing cost of charters has also played a large role, with 40 or 50 hardcore 'chequebook birders' heading off into a league of their own.

A well-known birder with some well-known headgear was claiming last night on Twitter he will set up a 'Listing premiership' early next year for BOU 500+ listers in the style of BUBO listing. Make of that what you will!

A well-known birder with some well-known headgear was claiming last night on Twitter he will set up a 'Listing premiership' early next year for BOU 500+ listers in the style of BUBO listing. Make of that what you will!

If he tries to call me a premiership birder I will sue him for defamation of character

John

Or they could just use BUBO? :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back