• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hours (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
I spent Hours last summer,trying to see a Merlin, without success, I was told to find a swallow or martin flock going to roost and wait!! :mad: no luck at all:confused:

Has Any member seen this spectacle or simular?

Hello Steve

Excuse me for questioning Steve but are you sure you were not looking for Hobby at a Hirundine roost?

burhinus

I my experience, living close to the Peak District moorlands, Merlin are best observed within 1km of a nest site from April-July or as your adviser pointed out, anywhere there are lots of small birds going to roost. A Merlin is easily capable of taking Hirrundines. If you are ever lucky enough to see a Merlin really 'going for it' in pursuit of a fast prey item, then you will realise the awesome capability and killing power of this tiny bird. They hunt low and fast so are very difficult to pick out especially when against a peat bog and heather background. Some RSPB reserves are good for Merlin for they like to hunt over reed beds. Once in pursuit of their quarry they follow every twist and turn and rarely give up the chase, and will go very high following Skylarks 'till they disappear from sight (at 8x??) thats high! Any estuary area in winter is good as their interest in long legged prey grows with the cold. They have shot past within a few feet of me when its been almost dark following quarry so never give up observing till you need a torch to find the car! ;)

Moorland for merlins..

Most def, Ive had more viewings of merlins on health and moorlands than anywhere else!! If you are ever in North Devon I can give you a good place to try.Late autumn is the best time of year, late evening, just before dusk.Normally have a few merlin, also was a good place for hen harrier,havent been in that area for a while, but can find out, if you are interested ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back