• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hortobágy-poesta General information needed (1 Viewer)

Fast_falkon

Dutch birder
Hey all,
In June/July this year, there is a chance that i'm going to Hungary, i really need information about birding here.. especially about Hortobágy-poesta (sp?)
we're going 7-9 days (we is my mother and I)

Thanks in advance. :t:

Edit: Its a possibility that we're going 18-10 to 26-10 too, is this a good time for going?

Last edited:
There should be quite a few trip reports on Travelling Birder.

I was there in July 2005, so can probably give a bit of an indication of what you might see there at that time of the year.

Probably the best place I went to was the Halasto fishponds. This is a fairly big area and it's useful to have a bike to cycle between the hides. Some pools will be fairly birdless but there should be some good ones where the water levels are lower. Birds you're likely to see include Whiskered Tern, Pygmy Cormorant, Glossy Ibis, White-tailed Eagle, Night Heron, Little Bittern, Spoonbill, Ferruginous Duck, Squacco Heron, Penduline Tit, Lesser Grey Shrike etc. I managed to see a Little Crake here and lots of passage waders, ducks etc.

The area around the junction between the main Hortobagy - Tiszafured road and the road going south to Nagyivan is a good spot. There's a colony of Red-footed Falcons in a small woodland and there was also a colony of Bee-eaters in a sandy area by the junction. Roller and Lesser-grey Shrike should also be seen on the road to Nagyivan.

I suspect that by hiring a guide and travelling around the area you could see quite a bit more.

Crossbill Guides (see - www.crossbillguides.org) will be publishing a guide (in English) to the Hortobagy later this year. It should be out well before your planned visit. The new book has plenty of information about the birdlife (and much else) of the Hortobagy. It is handsomely illustrated with plenty of maps and local tourist information. Mind you I would say that as I have had a small part in its production,

John

thanks!
do you think i can buy it in The Netherlands?

Since the books are published in association with KNNV publishing and the whole team, apart from me, are Dutch, I'm sure it will be available in the Netherlands! You can get the series via the website and I know at least one Dutch bookshop will carry a good stock as it's run by the writer's sister!! (Unfortunately, I'm not sure where her bookshop is in Holland, but I'm sure I can find out!). If you have any trouble getting a copy let me know and I'll sort something out. I'll try to remember to email you when it is published,

John

Since the books are published in association with KNNV publishing and the whole team, apart from me, are Dutch, I'm sure it will be available in the Netherlands! You can get the series via the website and I know at least one Dutch bookshop will carry a good stock as it's run by the writer's sister!! (Unfortunately, I'm not sure where her bookshop is in Holland, but I'm sure I can find out!). If you have any trouble getting a copy let me know and I'll sort something out. I'll try to remember to email you when it is published,

John

Thanks a bunch! :t:
the site says they expect it to be published on march 1st, and that i can order one trough the KNNV site. so i'll just try that.
i'm pretty confidend it will work out, if not, i'll contact you :)

Good! I've just been going through the final draft & it's looking very good! If nothing goes wrong I think it should be out in March. Do let me know what you think of it and how (if at all!) future editions might be improved,

John

I'd like to tell you that I had a wonderful time!
I've seen 139 species including Saker, Great Bustard (displaying), Roller, Red Footed Falcon, Ural Owl, Rock Bunting, Aquatic Warbler, Collared Flycatcher, Lesser Grey Shrike, 6 Woodpecker species and 4 Eagle species!

Attachments

• Syrische Bonte Specht.jpg
    Syrische Bonte Specht.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Roodpootvalk (10).jpg
    Roodpootvalk (10).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Scharrelaar (1).jpg
    Scharrelaar (1).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Ralreiger (2).jpg
    Ralreiger (2).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 216
  • Kwak (2).jpg
    Kwak (2).jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back