• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Home Made Suet Sans Corn Meal (5 Viewers)

Bob D

I've typically used suet recipes that call for peanut butter, cornmeal, oats and flour (although not always all three) with a base "fat" of lard.

My typical ingredients are lard, crunchy peanut butter, flour and cornmeal plus lots of peanuts and sunflower hearts and some dried fruit. I make large suet cakes (two pounds of lard) and have a problem with the corn meal settling out after pouring into a mold. Therefore one part of the suet cake is sans peanuts and sunflower hearts.

Therefore I'm not a big fan of cornmeal and wonder if it is necessary to add hardness to the block to maintain its' shape in temperatures close to F 60 degrees? And this raises the question of using more oatmeal if needed to add consistency.

Another question, is there any reason why I can't just use lard and sunflower hearts and peanuts?

Thanks!

Are you melting the lard and peanut butter before adding the cornmeal and flour? I find that the suet cakes hold together much better if I melt the lard and peanut butter myself. As to cornmeal, it helps to thin out the peanut butter so that the chickadees don't choke on it, it also acts as a binding agent along with the flour, and helps to prevent melting during the hotter months. I don't use oatmeal but instead add about 2 cups of nuts and sunflower hearts.

One more thing, if you were to melt down true suet(aka rendered tallow from beef), the block would be a lot more firm than with lard. However, in my town, suet is a lot more expensive than lard.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back