• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High Island in late March? (1 Viewer)

ptickner

I know I will be early for peak migration, but will I be too early for it to be worthwhile? I will be in the area on the 28-29th of March, and am wondering if there are other places that may be a better use of time. As a western US birder, the eastern warblers would be a priority for me.

I wish I could push my time there back a couple of weeks, but unfortunately I can't. Has anyone else have experience in that area in late March?

There are a few early warblers & other migrants that might be coming through in March, but April will be your best best hands down. The last 2 weeks of April, specifically that last weekend in April, is usually the best. If I were making this trip, I would go mid to late April.

If I were making this trip, I would go mid to late April.

So would I, but unfortunately for birding, March is when I'll be there. I'll hope for some early migrants, as well as for some local suggestions that will help me make the most of my less than ideal timing. Thanks for the replies!

High Island is always a crap shoot. There are lots of other places to check out in the area, Anahuac, Bolivar flats, Rollover Pass, Lafitte's Cove and Galveston Island SP, so I'd say go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back