• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, Im making Hummingbird Food using, Simple Truth Organic Prue Cane Sugar. In Nutritional Facts it says IRON OMG 0 %. Total Sugars 8 g. IS THIS OK? (1 Viewer)

Flash13

United States
Hi, Im making Hummingbird Food using, Simple Truth Organic Prue Cane Sugar. In Nutritional Facts it says IRON OMG 0 %. Total Sugars 8 g.
IS THIS OK?

Hi Flash and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Hummingbird forum, as you're more likely to get the people with the right knowledge seeing your post.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Honestly, when I fed hummingbirds I never looked at any of the content. I just used whatever sugar I had available.

Honestly, when I fed hummingbirds I never looked at any of the content. I just used whatever sugar I had available.
Too much Iron is Toxic to Hummingbirds. Refined White Sugar does not have Iron. I have been using Hummingbird feed I got from Home Depot, but it has dye in it. So Im making me own. We have 3 Hummingbirds visiting.

Hi Flash and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Hummingbird forum, as you're more likely to get the people with the right knowledge seeing your post.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
thanks. We have 3 Hummingbird's visiting our feeder. Just want to keep them healthy.

Hi, Im making Hummingbird Food using, Simple Truth Organic Prue Cane Sugar. In Nutritional Facts it says IRON OMG 0 %. Total Sugars 8 g.
IS THIS OK?

Just because the nutritional label says IRON 0% does not mean that it contains no iron. If a single serving contains less than less than half of a gram of an ingredient the manufacturer can label it a 0% because they are allowed to round to whole numbers. Many manufacturers will purposefully reduce serving sizes to be able to call something "fat free" even though it contains some fat.

So, your "pure organic cane sugar" has a serving size of 30 grams. Half a gram would amount to 1.6% of that. I am not suggesting that it has that much iron in it. But, that 0% on the label is meaningless when it comes to hummingbird safety.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back