• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with locations for recording? (1 Viewer)

Evening all,

I'm doing some nature recording for a university module (and hopefully work). Aiming to get kind of an 'am to pm' theme focusing my material on birdsong but aiming to get some sounds of the night as well, potentially owls, bats, and the like.

I have experience in the field already, but only moved back to Leeds recently, and many of the places I used to just go bird watching are too close to main roads for the sensitivity of the microphones. I went as far as Staveley the other day but the A1 is downwind and too noisy!

I guess I am asking if anyone knows of any good more secluded spots further away from motorways (or surrounded by lots of trees as that also helps!). Preferably in West Yorks - willing to go further if necessary, but as I'll be doing 2 or 3 days on the bounce at all hrs of the night as well would prefer to be closer!

Cheers in advance for any suggestions.

Chris :t:

Adel Dam on the Northern edge of Leeds would probably fit the bill - no motorways near but there is the main Leeds - Otley Road about 200 yards away. However there is ample tree cover, I bird there regularly and have no problem with road noise at all.

Hetchell Wood again north Leeds close by the Leeds- Wetherby Road - smaller selection of birds but little road noise outside the rush hour.

Will have a think - see if I can come up with any more.

Checked out Adel Dam, Keith and WOW! what a little hidden gem! Took my mam out there and in the hide we saw chaffinches, robins, blue tits and lucky for us a lesser spotted woodpecker!

We will definately be back, mum would love to see the bluebells when they are out...unfortunately for my recording though it's too close to the airport. The mics i have to use are super sensitive so there is always a drone at that end of town...gonna check out some places over emley moor.

Traffic noise doesn't half carry doesn't it!The only places I could suggest would be Wheldrake,if you like wetlands(and it can be a bit of a muddy trek out into the best bit) or head up into the Dales.

Thanks Arthur, and yes! An absolute nightmare! I will have a venture out to Wheldrake in the near future. I actually found a spot called Half Moon on Heath Common in Wakefield that seems to be OK. Located in a valley most road noise is put out, just have to be clever with train/flight path timings.

Wheldrake next on the list of outings anyhow. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Arthur, and yes! An absolute nightmare! I will have a venture out to Wheldrake in the near future. I actually found a spot called Half Moon on Heath Common in Wakefield that seems to be OK. Located in a valley most road noise is put out, just have to be clever with train/flight path timings.

Wheldrake next on the list of outings anyhow. Thanks for the advice.

Skipwith Common is very far from traffic and should have some superb songsters in the summer months. Ditto with Thorne Moors - good motorway network to get there, but a lot of walking once you do, unless you use the back, Crowle, entrance

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back