• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Explorer 8x32 (2 Viewers)

JonPersson

Sweden
Hi!

I have tried a few Opticrons now in order to find one that doesn’t have any flaws, as in poor quality control.

First one: Traveller, totally unsharp on left eye

Second one: explorer 8x32: optically incredible, smooth focus but loose hinge

Order another explorer 8x32 in hope of a tighter hinge: yes, hinge was better, but focusing was uneven and even stiff at close range and optically a disaster. Had to turn the right side diopter all the way to the right and still not good. Left glass had uneven sharpness.

So I can’t do the lottery anymore. I will keep the first explorer 8x32, because it’s optically SO good. But I want to tighten the hinge.

I unscrew the tripod mount cover and there is a slot for a large flat driver and I assume this is used for tightening the hinge. But, there is some sort of loctite or glue inside, preventing me from turning in to tighten. Can’t find any grub screw or similar.

The shiny stuff in the small hole is some sort of glue I believe. Has anyone managed to tighten one of these?

If I can’t fix it I’ll use for the summer then send it off under warranty. But I just can’t keep returning binos, because I just run the risk of getting another poor specimen. I doubt I will get another one with as good optics as this one….
E5C93E3B-B89F-4DEB-B284-2D9B7F66C8D3.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back