• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help With Essex Hobby And Peregrine Breeding Records (1 Viewer)

auchinbowie

I have just picked up the responsibility for the Falcon sub-section of the 2011 EBR. Apart from the analysis of records submitted by observers to The Essex Birdwatching Society and BTO (Datatrack) this requires investigation and reporting of breeding status for Peregrine and Hobby. Some sites cannot be determined directly from the database. Others may or may not contain information on breeding outcomes. I am requesting your help in establishing this status for 2011. If you were monitoring a Hobby or Peregrine nest site please advise me by private message (NOT ON OPEN FORUM) of its location (either locality and/or map reference) and, if known, the outcome of the nesting attempt.

For this report Essex includes that part of Greater London, East of the River Lea/Lee.

Please note that detailed information of the locations are NEVER passed to a third party and locations are never divulged in the report beyond being shown as Essex site # 1, #2, #3 etc.

If you have such records but do not know me, please contact me without the nesting information, so I can establish my bona fides.

Thank you

Dave B

Given the sensitive nature of breeding details of Raptors the preferable route is to send details of these records to the County Recorder, Les Steward, rather than to a sub-editor who is not verifiable from the Essex Birdwatching Societies website. Les's details can be found on the Essex Birdwatching Society Website and he can pass on the details.

This is not to cast doubt on the authenticity of the request made here but as it has been made from a 'username' rather than an actual named individual in my view such a request for information should directed through the society.

regards

With respect to all, especially Dave, I have decided against forwarding information of such a sensitive nature.

Coming late into the world of birding, I had been previously somewhat skeptical about what appeared hyper sensitivity over communicating certain bird and or nest locations. However after finding out recently from a falconry charity that a barn owl chick sells for £500 I can see the risk.

I am gradually getting to know people in the local birding world, through RSPB, BTO, EWT and mainly from meeting people in the field. From this and my confidence I occasionally share my birding experience, and I am sure that some of that will filter its way to appointed recorders, and perhaps in time I will meet them in person.

Steve

Firstly, B-bugger (S-bugger?), your comment was utter nonsense. The Essex Bird Report (EBR) IS the annual report issued by the Essex Birdwatching Society. It includes a species by species synopsis of the birds' status. As a new birder, I would recommend you acquire a copy of the issue for 2010.

My original message was issued with the prior approval of both Les Steward, the County Recorder, and Graham Smith, the Essex Bird Report Editor. I was warned, however, that prior requests had not elicited much response.

Linfordbirder and any other reader. If you send the information to Les (address repeated below) that will be fine. Even if it does not make the cut-off for the 2011 EBR, it will get into the database for ongoing trend analysis. The reason for the unusual appeal, was my taking on the Falcon section, after all the other sections were complete. I was trying to cut corners to avoid undue further publication delay.

I am in contact with members who monitor most of the sites -- but some districts are not well reported. This is more problematic for Hobby than Peregrine.

IF YOU HAVE BREEDING DATA FOR PEREGRINES AND HOBBY IN ESSEX and have not reported the details on either the EWBS or ELBF websites please contact Les. 2011 Records ASAP PLEASE! It was requested that 2012 records were submitted by March 31st. However, if you have not already done so, please prepare and submit them as soon as possible. [The BTO Birdtrack data file sometimes loses details we use. It is still useful.]

Whatever you do, please never post details on open forum.

Dave B.

Repeating the recorder's e-mail address Les Steward [email protected]

Last edited:
Yes, the humour, or lack therein was reliant upon the flippant nature contained in it. It also relied on the absurdity of the juxtaposition of two rival gangs in the US to the bird watching societies of our fair county.

The true crime here is that it wasn't funny.

Hobbs, I can only provide sighting information.

Bb

I think a buggers comment was meant lighthearted and not meant to offend in any way,that's the way I took it.

Steve and B-B,

No offence was caused, merely a little irritation.

It is true that too many birding organisations are dominated by small minded men, who are good birders but have accomplished little else of merit in life. So their status in birding circles becomes the defining feature of their being. Politics within and between groups is often both unpleasent and corrosive. I hope this will diminish, as the proportion of female members increases.
That said, humour is best when well aimed and based on a knowledge of the subject; a comment made to students on countless occasions. Not being aware that the EBR was issued by the EBWS was an own goal.

I would suggest, B-B, that you consider changing your monika. I know that finding a unique one is difficult. I had more than a dozen attempts before falling back on mine.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back