• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Identifying Bird (1 Viewer)

howee74

Hi everyone, i've seen the same bird twice in the last couple of days while walking the dog, and i cant identify it and its bugging the life out of me!
Its a largish wader, like a stocky Oystercatcher - has a straight bill, a squarish bill, reddish brown uppers (like a Turnstone) white rump and underside. Its sits until youre almost on top of it then flies off. I've seen it on an area of grassland
near the Tyne Tunnel on the North side which is very boggy at the moment, and about one third dense trees and undergrowth.

My initial thought was woodcock, but i think the colourings wrong - any ideas anyone??

Hi everyone, i've seen the same bird twice in the last couple of days while walking the dog, and i cant identify it and its bugging the life out of me!
Its a largish wader, like a stocky Oystercatcher - has a straight bill, a squarish bill, reddish brown uppers (like a Turnstone) white rump and underside. Its sits until youre almost on top of it then flies off. I've seen it on an area of grassland
near the Tyne Tunnel on the North side which is very boggy at the moment, and about one third dense trees and undergrowth.

My initial thought was woodcock, but i think the colourings wrong - any ideas anyone??

might it be a snipe or jack snipe?

thanks for the replies, just did an image search and think you're right - its a snipe - for some reason i had them in my head as smaller and plainer

Size sounds more like Woodcock though of course size is always hard to judge.Although they wouldnt show a white rump the underside of the tail can be flicked up which is quite bright white and stands out quite a bit.

Do you see it on the ground before it flies or does it just jump up close to you without knowing it was there?

yes, but as mentioned its quite hard to judge as its speeding off in to the horizon. Since then i've had three definite woodcock sitings at very close quarters in the same general area, but in a more wooded part. I walk the dog through Wallsend Dene, its a great spot for birds, especially at the moment with the extreme weather

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back