• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
Hi there.
I have been browsing birdforum for a couple of days and have enjoyed what I have seen. I am an evacuee from uk.rec.birdwatching although have not made any recent posts. When I first subscribed to that group I learned alot from a group of knowledgeable and helpful folk, but as has already been said it is being spoiled rather badly in the last year or so.

I became interested in birdwatching when I lived in Kenya some 30 years ago. On return to the UK I found that british birds were also very beautiful. Since then I have always taken binoculars out on walks and tried to identify any bird seen. Two years ago I took partial early retirement and bought myself a decent birding scope (80mm Swarovski) and that really opened my eyes.

I am still very much a beginner but am learning rapidly. I regularly go on the field trips organised by Essex Birdwatching Society where the many expert eyes have found many interesting birds.
A year ago I bought a coolpix 880 and have tried digiscoping with some success. This has encouraged at least 2 members of EBS to take it up.

My main hobby is however astronomy, but these two hobbies rarely clash and both involve powers of observation. It's a great combination. I have posted two of my pictures in the Gallery but there are many more on my website.

Welcome to the forum Dave.

First of all, you live right near to my partners family who live all around Ramsden Heath, Runwell and various other little towns around that area. We often go down there and enjoy the odd walk around the river Crouch.

I'm glad you looked at the forum for a couple of days. It gives you a bit of a perspective on how the forum is. You would have seen how friendly and approachable they all are.

Being a beginner is no disadvantage here as there all types of birders on here from the beginner to the expert. If there is any advice on any related subject just ask. there will always be someone with the answer.

I think you will find a big difference from the group you were in to this one.

I look forward to your postings and also any photo's you might want to place in the gallery.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Birdforum :t:

I am glad that have found your way here and I hope that you find plenty of threads to interest you. As you say, everyone is pretty friendly on here, so feel free to join in.

You are certainly accomplished at digiscoping going by the photo of the Sedge Warbler. The Speckled Wood is pretty good too. I hope that you see your way to posting a few more photos.

See you around

Welcome, Dave. Glad another digiscoper has joined, I had a good look at your website and was greatly impressed with the shots... the Lapwing was crystal clear, my favourite anyway.
Regards,
Andy B

Welcome Dave. I had a look at your site yesterday and was very impressed! I, too, have an interest in astronomy and you've got some great photos!

I think you will enjoy participating on THIS site far more. We tend to have more fun! (And we've got caps!!!)

3:)

Al

Dave

Nice to welcome a refugee to Bird Forum. Loved your site. I really must go to Minsmere sometime - you got some great shots there.

I'd also like to see your scope and camera in action to get a feel for digiscoping. I had a little tuition from Andy last week, but I think I need to learn rather more before committing myself.

Anyway, nice to have you with us.

Peter

Thankyou all for such a warm welcome. I can see I am going to enjoy your company and learn much in the process. I must add that when I am out birdwatching my main objective is just that. i.e. birdwatching. If I get a photo or two that is a bonus but not a priority. I'm going on an Essex Birdwatching Society trip to Titchwell Marsh and the Holkham area tomorrow so watch out for a trip report and maybe a photo. It will also be an opportunity to get my uk list up to 200 (198 at present).

Dave Smith

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back