• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello Malaysia (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

I'll be in Malacca tomorrow or teh day after. Is there a good place to go birding near here? afetr Malacca I plan KL. Am not sure whether to visit the huge National Park NE of KL. Is it worth a visit? I'm sure it is! :p

James

Believe Malacca is best during migration.

When you say the huge NP which is NE of KL are you referring to Taman Negara? If so then it is an absolute must. There is a lot of cheap accommodation at Kuala Tahan. You'll find plenty of trip reports on the net.

jimmy welcome to malaysia when you come to K.L. call me at this no.-03-31670072 from 9am to 12.30pm,then 2.30pm to 4.30pm and my last shift is 6.30pm to 10.00pm..i am a Doctor and have my own practice and may be i could tell you whereto go birding in K.L.--with my limited knowldge.regards.:t:(p.s. i have p.m. you also.)

Hello all. I'm in KL but heading to teh Cameron Highlands tomorrow I think as after Singapore I'm tired of cities for now! Need to escape! :) Birding here is great but difficult for me to distingish species sometimes.

Taman Nagera seems liek such a hassle to organise that I'm thinking about skipping it. After 3.5 months on teh road it feels like a tiring prospect just gettingthere without the tours which are obviously charging way more and for a different experience that a birder desires. Any advice on dealing with a trip there would be appreciated. :)

Regards

james

Cameron Highlands is a good place and you can relax there..another place i would suggest is Fraser's Hills..can take a bus from K.L. to Fraser's hills..you get resonable place to stay..the Gap Hotel..just at the entrance to Fraser's hills..bird variety fantastic..you didnt call..regards.Enjoy your self.:t:

Hi James,

Agree with Manjeet about Fraser's Hill. The Gap is cheap, but has declined in recent years (the Resthouse not the birding) though still worth a night before going up to FH itself. The Puncak Inn in FH is cheap. If you see Mr Durai in the FH Development office tell him your a birder and he'll possibly give you a good rate. Durai is a good source of birding info too. You are more likely to meet up with other birders at FH.

Taman Negara is not such a hassle. There is a bus that goes direct from KL to Jerantut and then on to the boat jetty. Last I heard it left the Mandarin Pacific Hotel in China Town at 07.30, though I'd check as it used to be the Istana Hotel. Price is around MYR35.
Once at Kuala Tahan (next to the Park entrance) there is so much cheap accommodation that you do not have to book in advance.There's not much primary rainforest to bird in Asia that is as easy to get to as TN - you just got to make the effort.

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back