• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Punta del Este, Uruguay (1 Viewer)

Hello people,

I'm an expat Canadian living in Punta del Este, Uruguay. I mainly joined this site as I want to post a message in the Conservation forum as I am trying to (as discreetly as possible) help a gentleman here who wishes to sell his nature reserve of some 750 acres here in Uruguay. (Please don't boot me off|:D|)

But since I don't like crashing parties without bringing something, here's what I see outside my window:

Horneros - no idea what they are in English but they are called horneros because they build a nest out of clay which looks like an oven which in spanish is 'horno', hence hornero. Kind of plain looking birds that squawk at each other like no tomorrow and are everywhere.

'Beecho feo' (spanish slang) or 'bem te vi' (brazil). Don't know what it's called in English. So named as their call is a very loud three syllables. Yellow breast, black and white head. I found a link here: http://www.fotolog.com/gallery/tag/passaro/juemery/219000000000032749/

We had a small white owl that used to live in one of our trees but haven't heard him in a while. Lechuza campanario.

This time of year lots of hummingbirds - black and white mixture.

Carpinteros (woodpeckers) - http://avesdeuruguay.com/fotos/medium/0002.jpg

Very tame little guys that look like sparrows but with a black head-band. Make a long one-syllable rising whistle. Chingolo común they're called here.

Small, white parrots that squawk at each other constantly.

Doves, doves, doves. They're everywhere. Big and small.

That's about the limit of my knowledge (pretty sad, I know). There are lots more but wouldn't have a clue about what they are called.

Anyway, nice to meet you! Hope I still get to tell you about the nature reserve :)

Hi and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

¡Hola desde Canada!

Wish I could be living in Uruguay at the moment - it's mid-March, and there's still a couple of feet of snow on the ground, here in the "tropics" of Southern Ontario. Hooray.

Be that as it may - the "hornero" species you're talking about is also called "Hornero" in English - likely the Rufous Hornero Furnarius rufus, very widespread in South America. But the collective name for birds like this (the family that it belongs to) is "ovenbird", though by no means all of them build an extraordinary nest like that.

The Bem-te-ve is also known by a onomatopoeic name in English - rendered as "kiss-ka-dee." Your local species is the Great Kiskadee, Pitangus sulphuratus.

Had to look up the others: a Lechuza is a Common Barn-owl (Tyto alba), named, I presume, for the "milky" whiteness of the breast plumage (surprised you had one in the garden! awesome!), and the Chingolo is the Rufous-collared Sparrow (Zonotrichia capensis). The carpinteros in the photo are called Campo Flickers in English, although I imagine there are number of other local woodpeckers that you might be seeing as well.

No idea what the hummingbirds, doves, and parrots are likely to be.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:
Welcome to BF, and enjoy yourself here :gh::t:

Sounds an interesting selection of birds that you have, and I look forward to hearing a lot more from you and your experiences

Regards
Kathy
x

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back