• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you tried these are they good... (1 Viewer)

new 2 this

I am seriously thinking of purchasing a book called 'RSPB Handbook of British Birds' as my house guide for looking up things like nesting details and breeding times of the year and moderately indepth information on common birds, I am new at birding and want a house reference, I feed the birds in my garden and watch from the warmth of my house (luxery hide I suppose lol) I have a young family who also enjoy the birds so something with lots of pictures is a must, I'd love to hear from anyone who has seen this book in the flesh and what they think of it.

The other item is a video called a 'A Celebration of Garden Birds' , has anyone seen this? What did you think of it? I am looking for something light that gives me basic information but more visual than anything, so I can become more familiar with the common birds that will most likely visit my garden, simular to the above book but something relaxing I can watch in the evenings that a stressed out hubby back from work can find relaxing at the same time. I don't ask much do I lol?

Thank you in advance for all your help

I have this book and would thoroughly recommend it.It can be used as a basic I.D guide but has much more information,like population estimates,average life-spans and food preferences.
All this for £9.99-Buy it!

Both books are excellent. Another good one for a home reference is the RSPB/AA 'complete book of british birds' I've often seen copies in charity shops for a couple of quid.

I always have my trusty Collins Gem 'Birds' in my pocket when I'm out too, not such a range of birds but it certainly does the job.

Booga

Teresa

I don't know how we are going to do this but I have a few books that might help you. The first is the RSPB/AA Complete book of British Birds (that is brand new and never been used). The 2nd is Birds of Britain & Europe author Karel Stastny & edited by David Christie (which was exclusive to W H Smiths) plus a spare fieldguide (that is brand new and never been used). It is a Collins field guide but not the one mentioned by Camberley Red. The fieldguide authors are Tory Peterson, Guy Mountfort & P.A.D Hollom.

The first two books are very large and would be ideal for both you and your children (especially the kids as they are full of large pictures) and the fieldguide would be an excellent guide for you as it shows you relevant detail points to look at in identifying any birds you might see out in the field.

Where abouts in Cheshire do you live? You don't need to send me an address if you don't want to just an area close by but do it via a PM. Fairly shortly me & the missus intend to go to North Wales and it wouldn't be too far out of my way to possibly go via somewhere near to you.

They are free to a good home if you would like them.

As far as videos go, I'd recommend some of the offerings by BirdImages... They usually feature Bill Oddie and have good video footage of most of the birds you are likely to meet in the U.K. They seem very good value to me.
BTW I have no financial interest in that company (though appearing in one video). Paul is just a nice guy providing good videos for litlle money.
Andy

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and offers.

Hubby had a Valantines Day surprise for me this evening, chocolates, and the RSPB Handbook of British Birds. Iit is exactly what I was after.

The book by Holden and Cleeves is excellent and fantastic value for money at under a tenner. One advantage is that sticks to British birds. If you are looking for a European field guide, then the Collins is currently regarded as the best field guide currently available for anywhere in the world!

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back