• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harbour Porpoises (1 Viewer)

cjay

Harbour Porpoises were noted off Kessingland Suffolk UK March 3rd (2), 9th (2), 10th (3), 12th (2), 13th (3).

Colin J

Harbour Porpoises are pretty difficult to see in my experience. I've been whale watching with groups dozens of times in Iceland and Harbour Porpoises are seen only fleetingly and seem rather timid and avoid any contact with boats. It may be easier to see them from land when there are no boats around.

My cetacean list is not that impressive yet: Harbour Porpoise, White-beaked Dolphin, Minke Whale and Blue Whale (which was pretty impressive!). I still haven't managed to see Killer Whale even though they are supposed to be dead common in Icelandic waters.

Hi Edward,
Was the Blue Whale near Iceland?That would be a great sight!
Have seen Harbour Porpoise,Common Dolphin,Bottlenose Dolphin,Risso's Dolphin,Killer Whale,Minkie Whale and Fin Whale here in Ireland.
Harry

Hi Harry

The Blue Whale was indeed in Iceland and in June and July Iceland is considered one of the most reliable places in the world to see Blue Whales. I think most organised birding trips to Iceland include this in their itinerary now. Trips leave from the village of Olafsvik in western Iceland and take 5-7 hours. I went in July last year (missed the World Cup Final - almost sacrilegious behaviour in my book) and saw two magnificent specimens at fairly close quarters. I don't usually get sea sick but I was very close that day even though it was relatively calm. Had hoped to see rare skuas (Poms and Long-tailed) but was either too late or too early for them in July.

This area (on land) is also excellent for birds with Brunnich's Guillemot, Harlequin Duck, Red-necked Phalarope, White-tailed Eagle and the world's largest Arctic Tern colony within a morning's birding.

Your Fin Whale must have been pretty spectacular too!
Edward

It is now supposed that Harbour Porpoises are breeding in the North Sea. We still get them coming through Ness Point at Lowestoft, Usually going north all months of the year.

When the pumps were turned off at the sewage outfall here we had nine only abot twenty metres offshore.

Brilliant.

CJ

Harbour Porpoises seem to be common in Manx Waters.
(Or I am very lucky in seeing them!)
Last month we saw 3 of them only 10 yards from the beach.

(You can just see the wave on the beach in the bottom of the picture attached)

Attachments

• porpoise4.jpg
    porpoise4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 245
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back