• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

H20 bushnell 8x42 . Are they good for birding . (1 Viewer)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I'm moving your thread to the binocular section of the Forum where you're likely to get some suggestions ;)

Hi and welcome,

I have an H20 8x42 Porroprism that is a basic binocular that can be used for anything.

But maybe you mean a roof prism version, which I haven't tried.

Regards,
B.

Hi Waspu, welcome to Birdforum.

I haven't tried them myself, but on several occasions, while on birding groups, I've seen accomplished birders using them, so I assume they offer a view that can help you identify and enjoy birding. If I remember well, the users were mostly young people who seemed to spend a good deal of time birding and my take is that maybe they couldn't (or simply didn't want to) spend more on binoculars. I remember it well because I found it very "refreshing", the fact that an apparently "simple" pair of binoculars was used by some knowledgeable birders, who concentrated on birds more than on the tools to watch them :)

As always, but especially with "entry-level" binoculars it is very important to try them first to check if everything is OK (the view is pleasing and not tiring, you don't get headache after 5 minutes using them, all moving parts work with ease but not too loosely, nothing rattles, there are no obvious scratches or dust in the lenses, etc.).

I’ve picked up the roof prism version a few times in stores to take a look and they’ve always disappointed me to be honest. That’s not to say they wouldn’t work as birding binoculars, because they would. It’s just they’re relatively cheap, but not that cheap and for the price I’m sure others here can recommend something better. I personally think reverse porro prism binoculars like the Nikon Traveler EX 8x25 perform better for the same money and Opticron produce similar cheaper options. Porroprism binoculars generally perform better than roof prisms at this kind of price. From memory the H2Os lacked sharpness and contrast.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back