• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grove Ferry/Stodmarsh (1 Viewer)

robinm

This thread also appears under "My Birding Day", but it has been suggested I copy it to the County Index.

Background on Stodmarsh/Grove Ferry: It is a NNR lying on the River Stour east of Canterbury. It has a good mixture of habitat with open water, flooded fields, reed beds and woodland. There are 5 hides and a viewing platform and it is worth a visit at any time of the year. Parking is at either Grove Ferry or Stodmarsh (or move between the 2). I tend to park at one end and walk round the reserve in a large circuit (about 3.5-4 miles). This visits all the hides and a few other places of interest.

Day's Birding (15/2/2002) the weather was overcast and there was a cold Easterly wind. Some of the paths were very wet and we were wading through several inches of water with a thin covering of ice in places. However, not a bad days birding with the highlight being a pair of Marsh harriers in acrobatic display flight. Here is my list for the day (I have only put numbers against the more unusual birds).

Cormorant
Bittern (2)
Grey Heron
Mute Swan
Greylag Goose
Shelduck
Wigeon
Gadwall
Teal
Mallard
Shoveler
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Marsh Harrier (3)
Hen Harrier (1)
Common Kestrel
Water Rail (1)
Moorhen
Coot
Lapwing
Dunlin
Common Snipe
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Meadow Pipit
Water Pipit (1)
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Mistle Thrush
Bearded Tit (2/3)
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Treecreeper
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Bullfinch
Reed Bunting

Robin

Thats a great list Robin.

Bittern
Marsh Harrier
Hen Harrier
Meadow Pipit
Water Pipit
Bearded Tit
Tree Creeper

All of which I have never yet seen (except in a book)
I must get out more!

Stodmarsh is one of my favorite places in kent, Not only is it a really nice place to walk around its also attracts some great birds. I still have never walked from stodmarsh to The grove (although I do like the pub at the grove end very nice).

Must agree with you Ashley, the pub is superb after a good walk,
especially as I have two young children of one and three now,
the pubs garden is a magnet!
Dale

I go to Grove Ferry regular and the ramp is a great place to watch from especialy if you are disabled like me. I always see a
good number of birds.Also look for Hobby in summer and Bittern in winter,not to mention migration time. Also look out for the Tattoo'd Twosome as that is their local patch.I suppose you could class them as a rare species.The pub is also very good for food and drink.

Kenboy:

We were there on Saturday. Still a hobby hawking for dragonflies and a spoonbill.

I'll make sure I'm wearing my BF baseball cap next time I go so keep a lookout.

I think we should have a BF Stodbash sometime.

I met the tattooed twosome on the ramp last weekend - very knowledgable, very friendly. Baking hot day, and although my knackered old Kowa scope wasn't really up to it, I had a great day there. I usually park at the Stodmarsh end and view the lake and wooded end, so this made a nice change. It also proved that my scope is beyond use, following a nosedive in the wooded section two months ago. I'm looking forward to scanning across the Medway estuary without feeling like someone's pulling my eyeball out with a corkscrew!

What no warblers?

Nice list there, but as a one-time Stodmarsh user (in the 80s) I am surprised that there are no warblers on your list. It is, for example, the only place I've seen Cetti's in the UK. And I would also have expected Reed and Sedge Warblers at the very least? Was it perhaps the strong wind keeping them down?
And yes, The Grove is great.
Best
David

black52bird said:
It is, for example, the only place I've seen Cetti's in the UK. And I would also have expected Reed and Sedge Warblers at the very least?
I think you missed the date on the list - February! I would still have expected Cettis but they can be a bit hit and miss at that time of year.

It is still alive with warblers (particularly reed and sedge) in the summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back