• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great tits abandoned (2 Viewers)

Lulubelle47

United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have been hand rearing a box of great tits that were abandoned by their parents. They are now well feathered and eating well. How do I know when it is time for them to be released? Does anybody know the process for releasing them? At the moment, I have them in a large cardboard box with a smaller box inside which serves as a nest. Do I let them loose in the house for practice flying? This could be a messy business!

Welcome to Birdforum.

They fledge at around 16-22 days so if you know how old they are, that should help.

I would leave the box out in the garden and let them fly free now. There's plenty of natural food around for them.

This link might be of interest to you.

Hi and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Well done on raising them, can’t help with how to go from now.

Hi Lulubelle and a warm welcome from me too. I think you will know when they're ready to fledge, as they'll be fluttering their wings trying to strengthen the muscles and jumping up trying to get out of the box. I'd put it outside at this stage, near a hedge or border, so they can find some safety and preferably perch on branches so they're off the ground.

Normally they'd be fed by the adults for a few days to a week, so if you could try and replicate this they will fare better. Perhaps try and get some live mealworms (unless you're happy to hunt for caterpillars and other insects ;) ) and feed them one at a time using tweezers. You might try teaching them a "feeding call", ("peep peep peep" would do) so that when they hear it their mouths pop open ready for whatever you have for them; as the days go on, feed less and less until they're foraging happily for themselves.

Well done getting them to this stage - good luck with the next. Please let us know how you get on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi everyone

I have been hand rearing a box of great tits that were abandoned by their parents. They are now well feathered and eating well. How do I know when it is time for them to be released? Does anybody know the process for releasing them? At the moment, I have them in a large cardboard box with a smaller box inside which serves as a nest. Do I let them loose in the house for practice flying? This could be a messy business!
We are in the same situation atm, what are you feeding them please as we aren’t sure what the best thing to give them is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back