• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great deals or big problems? (1 Viewer)

ORKen

United States
A couple of months ago I bought a Swaro 25-50 eyepiece for my spotting scope from 6ave (6th Avenue Electronics) for $560 that normally sells for $800. Though it was not mentioned in the ad, I expected it was a grey market item and that was confirmed with a call to Swarovski. There was also a sticker on the box that basically said the same.

Yesterday I saw their ad for a 10X32 Trinovid HD for $660, which is advertised elsewhere for $999. I'm sure that it's also going to be a grey market item but if I'm saving $340 should I care? I know that it basically comes with no warranty but if I'm willing to take the chance of something going wrong with it, is there another reason not to buy it?

I have a few grey market wrist watches . I have yet to experience any issues with them .
It would not bother me to buy a grey market binocular .
I bought both of the Nikon E2's from Japan through Ebay in the last decade for approximately $440 U.S each, it's possible they were grey market . They came with a one year warranty that I knew I would never get to use as I live in Canada . If something went wrong with them I would have sent them to Suddarth Optical in the U.S for repair , a price I was willing to pay for getting a deal . They are/were well made and as most my things they were well cared for .

The Leica is not grey market, (it is a Leica product) it likely just has a different warranty than the US warranty. Leica US will service it, however likely at cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back