• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grackles - Port Antonio, Jamaica (1 Viewer)

AndyS56

I think the first image, 7542, is a Carib Grackle but the second bird looks different - perhaps a Great-tailed grackle.

Correction/confirmation would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Andy

Attachments

• _C1A7542-2.jpg
    _C1A7542-2.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 11
  • _C1A7548.jpg
    _C1A7548.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 11
Carib grackle doesn't occur. They look to me both to be the same species - greater Antillean grackle - if a bit short-tailed.

Carib grackle doesn't occur. They look to me both to be the same species - greater Antillean grackle - if a bit short-tailed.
No comment re ID, but I seem to recall that Carib Grackles have been present somewhere in Jamaica in recent years as a result of birds that are assumed to be ship assisted. Happy to be corrected on that one.

No comment re ID, but I seem to recall that Carib Grackles have been present somewhere in Jamaica in recent years as a result of birds that are assumed to be ship assisted. Happy to be corrected on that one.
Don't think Carib Grackle are present but Great-tailed do occur in some parts of Jamaica.

Don't think Carib Grackle are present but Great-tailed do occur in some parts of Jamaica.
Are you sure about that? I have a recollection of discovering (too late) after visiting Jamaica that ship assisted Carib Grackle was possible at a couple of places near Montego Bay.

Are you sure about that? I have a recollection of discovering (too late) after visiting Jamaica that ship assisted Carib Grackle was possible at a couple of places near Montego Bay.
Yes definitely the Great-tailed are the ones that were ship assisted near Norman Manley airport if Carib has been ship assisited must a few individuals but I'm not aware of any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back