• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good to be back at Breydon (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Not been out for a couple of weeks due to holiday etc but as there have been a couple of BF'ers around here this week who had good things to say about the birding I was eager to get back out. Although I did initially think it was going to be a somewhat dull day as I got off the train. Surveying across a very dry & unmarshy Berney Marshes there was very little sign of anything. No Swallow out there, only 1 or 2 crows, a Great Tit and a very distant hovering Kestrel.

But after a half hour or so, what was presumably a family party of 3 more Kestrel flew right over and after that the day never looked back. The biggest highlight was a Rednecked Grebe on the river near Berney Arms pub ( lifer that one), plus a flock of 25 Gt Crested Grebe nearby also on the river - I've never seen that many together before. Further upriver 1 x Wheatear several Goldfinch and more waders than I could ever hope to count. I was pleased to see the flocks of 100's of Avocet and Blacktailed Godwit are still there plus many 100's more Golden Plover than last time I came by. Also more Dunlin than before the holidays plus 2 x Greenshank and plenty of Ringed Plover inc one flock of ~20. Maybe it'd be good to go up on the incoming tide one day and see if I can put some accuracy to the counting.

In total there must be absolutely 1000's of birds up there but it'd need someone with more experience than me to sort out properly. I counted at least 50 Cormorant about in various places, and 100's of gulls many of them mixed in with the waders. and 3 Little Egret

5 and a half hours very well spent.

Kestrel
Swallow
Gt Tit
Goldfinch
Starling
Crow
Wheatear x 1
House Sparrow
Skylark
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove

Cormorant
Sandwich Tern
Greater Blackbacked Gull
Lesser Blackbacked Gull
Herring Gull
Blackheaded Gull

Shelduck
Coot
Mallard
Mute Swan
Rednecked Grebe
Gt Crested Grebe
Little Grebe

Whimbrel
Oystercatcher
Avocet
Blacktailed Godwit
Greenshank x 2
Golden Plover
Redshank
Spotted Redshank
Dunlin
Ringed Plover
Lapwing
Little Egret x 3
Grey Heron

Red Necked Grebe? Was it in Summer Plumage? Did you release the news on birdguides?

Is it still there?

Colin J.

Yes according to my book it is summer plumage : a dark red neck, grey to whitish upper neck / lower head area, black on the top of its head.

I never saw it in flight in about 30 minutes. It actually didn't do very much at all except get out of the way of a passing boat or 2.

Never heard of birdguides (well I have but didn't know it was something to get involved with ... care to explain ? ) , no idea if its still there as I've been to work today.

Great bird. Not common around here during Autumn migration. You see, by working a local patch it does pay off. Well done.

Colin J.

The earliest Norfolk bird was 19th July 1987 at Cley.
Typically most records of Summer Plumaged birds are seen in August. During the hard winter of 1979 four were seen on the Bure at Great Yarmouth. favoured inland sites in Norfolk are Breydon Water,Hickling & Horsey Broads.

Colin J.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back