• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Locations Please.Stoke on Trent. (1 Viewer)

Gthardcore

Hi,Can anyone please suggest any good locations for bird watching in and around Stoke on Trent.
I do have transport so i can travel.
Many thanks.

Best places around Stoke are Westport Lake and Berry Hill. Both turn up some good migrants during the right time of year. If you go Westport though, I think I'm right in saying heading in early is best, before the joggers and dog walkers scare most things off.

Both sites are really good for your general common/resident species, as well as the usual summer migrants. If you're after things like pied flycatchers, redstart at tree pipit, then I'd suggest Coombes Valley between Leek and Ashbourne. You can then always venture into the Moors and Peak district for more upland species. Or Cannock Chase, which can also produce wood warbler.

For wetland birds, maybe RSPB Middleton Lakes down in the very south of the county. A bit of travelling but well worth it. Or Doxey Marshes, which is just of J14 of the M6, about 30 mins drive from Stoke.

Other top tip is to check http://staffordshirebirding.blogspot.co.uk/ daily and just go where anything that interests you shows up :t:

Hope this helps

Adam

Ok not Stoke-on-Trent but the "Void" aka Silver Country Park the former colliery site can be worth a walk around and the wood across the road can be worth a walk around although not that pretty with the ruts and tracks caused by the 4x4 mob I have found some nice birds around the wood.
Hanchurch can be worth an explore and the feeding area in the main car park can allow for some nice and easy birding.

Tim.

Drive up to Leek, take the A53 towards Buxton and you'll have the moors to explore.
There are RSPB reserves at Coombes valley and Churnet woods (check the RSPB website).
And there are quite a few wetlands within easy reach ie Blithfield reservoir, Uttoxeter quarry, Knypersley reservoir, Tittesworth, Sandbach flashes, Doxey marshes (beside junc 14 of the M6).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back