• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galveston in early Occtober (1 Viewer)

Edwin,
Sorry to hear you got no replies!

I don't have time to look up a lot of stuff right now, but I suggest you also try the eBird Hotspots feature: http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspots

Type Galveston into the search box and you will get over 30 hotspots to choose from.

See my reply to Justin Jahn (nctexasbirder) if you need more info.

Edwin,

If you have time, swing by the World Birding Center on South Padre Island. There's a great boardwalk over a swampy area.

Larry

Edwin, sorry you didn't get any responses. I don't check bird forum much any more (work/school killing me) and when I do, it is usually the binocular or camera forums. Helen had a good suggestion. I will say that in the fall, pretty much any place besides High Island is good to look at. I haven't been there in the fall or winter myself, but plan to go in December.

If I were to go any time this month, I would go to Rollover Pass (now charge a small fee), Bob's Road (kind of rough, but worth it usually for Nelson's & Seaside Sparrows, Whimbrels, etc), Anahuac (both units - mind is blank right now for names of each. Will look them up & post them), Bolivar Flats (when you drive in and see the beach, go right and park by the posts. You will see a sign telling you it is Houston Audubon property. Scope will be good.), Frenchtown Road (very close to the ferry), Offats Bayou (actually in Galveston and entrance is not obvious).

You can try Boy Scout Woods, Smith Oaks and Hooks Woods (TOS property) for sparrows & such. As you drive down road on the Bolivar side, watch the lawns (may see shorebirds) and the electrical wires. On the ferry keep an eye out for ducks - not so sure what would be there yet. Gulls & terns love the ferry of course. Cormorants and pelicans love the pilings by the ferry docks. When you come back in to the Galveston side, look at the ground on the left - Black Skimmers are often sitting there.

I am sure I can come up with more, but that is what comes to mind right now.

post trip

my wife and I had a very enjoyable week on Galveston Island

our plans were to get away, do nothing other than camp,
eat seafood, and view the gulf and birds

we were successful
-camping at Sandpiper, Dellenera, and Galveston Island SP RV parks was nice (bay side GISP best for birds)
-seafood was great
-birding was enjoyable, nothing unusual but I really enjoyed the peligans-brown and white, white tailed kites,
sanderlings, egrets and herons, many other shore birds

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back