• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi ID required (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

Went for a woodland walk this afternoon, not to many birds, but did find some rather nice fungi which I think is Hairy Stereum (Stereum hirsutum). but I'm not 100% sure about that. Anyone know for sure.

Attachments

• fungi 2.jpg
    fungi 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Hi Paul,

There is a very similar fungi growing on a dead tree stump just as I go out of work. At that time of day I am usually knackered and have not had the strength to bother looking it up.....(what the NHS does to its staff.....I don't know.....:cool:)......However, looking at a book I have, there is one called "Many-zoned Polyspore" - Coriolous versicolor which looks quite like it.
"Extremely common bracket fungus which grows on dead stumps and fallen branches of deciduous trees, often in tiers." (poor thing....hee hee). "Each bracket is semi-circular; upper surface is zoned with concentric rings of different colours. Widespread. Found all year"

I couldn't find a picture of your Hairy Stereum in my book though.

Susan

Hi Susan,

The Many-zoned Polyspore, was my original thought but in my book (Mushrooms & other fungi of Gret Britain & Europe by Roger Phillips) the colours are darker and it shows no green bands. both species are common are are found all year round.

I now think the top picture is Hairy Stereum and the second is Many-zoned Polyspore. As you say the upper surface of Many-zoned Polyspore has the rings which was the case with the second picture, but I think it was the underside of the first that had the rings (although it is posible that the branch it was on had been turned over). I did take a picture of the upper surface which I have attached below.

Attachments

• fungi 3.jpg
    fungi 3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 249
Victorian ladies used to collect these, dry, laquer, then mount them as brooches. local name around here is Turkey tails.

Regards rog8811

Very interesting info. I see them around here in the US Arkansas Ozarks. That broach sounds like a good craft project.

Works well well with children aged 7 and above, you will need to pick them ( the fungi not the kids!) when at their best, dry them in an airing cupboard before you use them.

Regards rog8811

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back