• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi id anyone? (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Photographed this fungi a couple of days ago in Gloucestershire UK. It is about 3 - 4 mm across and looks scrumptious but probably isn't. Don't know much about such things so it is probably common. It was on some long dead wood.

Colin

Attachments

• fungi.jpg
    fungi.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 240
It is a young Lycogala terrestre. A myxomycetes affecting Dead & rotten wood. This is known as the plasmodium stage which will have the various colors you can see here.

yes it is common but only when seen in this stage as it is obvious as it gets older it dries dark brown & would be overlooked. This species is definatly in edible You cannot eat it.

Colin,
Thanks for that. I have learnt something from my half day out. If I could do that everytime I might get good at this natural history thing. Thanks again.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back