• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full and sub species (1 Viewer)

James Blake said:
As I understand it Homo sapiens is interesting for having a lot of physical variation while being very homogenous genetically. Going by surface features such as complexion, I guess we have a whole series of clines, eg from northern Europe to north Africa.
I often wonder if we vary as much as we think. We are adapted to look for minor differences between individuals of our species, but my guess would be that your average House Sparrow would think that we all look the same.
Tom

tomjenner said:
I often wonder if we vary as much as we think. We are adapted to look for minor differences between individuals of our species, but my guess would be that your average House Sparrow would think that we all look the same.
Tom

I'm not sure, Tom. I think even the least observant sparrow might notice the difference between, say, a Masai and an Inuit. Many other species have at least as much variation as us (though many have a lot less). But I wonder how many species have our amount of variation while being as genetically close-knit as (in my understanding) we are.

best wishes to all humans and sparrows
James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back