• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji HS30 EXR (1 Viewer)

i agree it could do with GPS , and dont blame you for sticking to your HS20 either , i hope im going to be just as pleased with the HS30 .

Ordered one of these from QVC on Saturday, £349 inc £50 worth of extras, cheapest I could find it even without the extras. This was at this price for Saturday only, now back up to £440. Will do a brief report when I have used it.

Had a play with one today at the shop and first impressions were its a really nice camera. Love that you can do the zoom via twisting the lens. Its functions seemed fairly fast too. Could be a really nice camera!

well i tried the HS30 for a few days , first thing i noticed was the preview screen although a good size , it could be easily scratched , pity it cant be turned around like the ones on canon , ok its good for some people but i prefer to use the electronic view finder , its ok for portraits and landscapes , but i didnt think it quick enough for bird photography , in some modes it takes too long from pressing the button to registering to the card , this i believe is because in some modes and using image stabiliser it takes the shot 3 or more times , nice sharp photos though , anyway ive sent it back to QVC , im going for the Canon powershot SX40 , a better all rounder better zoom faster shooting and cheaper .

Last edited:
It does say in the instructions that in auto mode it will take several exposures of the same shot and blend them. This is therefore not the best mode for shooting moving objects. Also if anti blur is on it will do the same in other settings. Again not a suitable mode for birds. You have to explore the manual settings on a Fuji for bird shots. I always use shutter priority mode in the first instance.

I also took advantage of the qvc offer and upgraded from my hs20. The hs20 was great but I did get frustrated sometimes with the af speed for birds and also I was considering a teleconvertor for extra zoom. The hs20 was brilliant for family pictures, landscapes and the hoped for record shots of birds. I am glad I upgraded though because the focus speed in shutter priority mode is much faster. This is also noticeable in continuous mode. Also the 2x digital zoom does make better pictures than cropping on the hs20. The sx40 is a great camera too and I hope you get loads of great shots but I love the manual zoom and size of the Fuji. I am already getting better bird shots and I look forward to more sunny days ahead.

Last edited:
Hi nobby , im not really knocking the hs30 its a good piece of kit ,but after years with a powershot S2 is , ive really got used to the canon format and im really going back to the same but with a load more and better upgrades good luck with the birdshots .

Last edited:
robin.jpg redwing at 60x.jpg

Had first real proper try today with the HS30 and birds. Compared to the HS20 the faster start up time and AF were really noticeable. Light wasn't great so all shots were in EXR auto mode. The Robin was very tame and allowed me to rattle off numerous shots. This is my favourite one. The Redwing is with the 2x digital zoom added to the 30x optical zoom (60x in total). I love the handling and manual zoom of the fuji HS's - I loved the HS20 and I'm loving this one. Can't wait to experiment with more of the settings.

(Edit - This was the first time I've uploaded pictures so sorry they're a bit small, I'll try and make them bigger later...)

Last edited:
Redwing at 30x.jpg Redwing at 60x.jpg Robin.jpg

As promised I am attaching the images again but this time they will be larger when clicked on.
The first picture is a Redwing using just the 30x optical zoom. The sun was pretty much direct behind so the background is far too bright - I've just included it to show the comparison with the second picture. The second picture is the same bird a few seconds later but with the 2x digital zoom added (60x in total). I have done no pp on any of the images so I am aware they could be processed sharper, but for straight out of the box, standard EXR settings I am more than happy with these as record shots. They were also hand held.

Great shots guys! The key thing with the HS20 was to play around with it, out of the box it doesn't show how good it actually is, same seems to apply with the HS30.
Can't wait to order mine, sold my Panasonic FZ45 to fund the HS30, really looking forward to the manual focus wheel!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back