• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fraser's Hill (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
I hope to visit Fraser's Hill in June. I won't be hiring a car, so I'd like to know how easy it is to get to by public transport and also what, if any, accommodation is available around there.

Thanks
'VB'

We stayed at The Smokehouse, VB. I think it's the most expensive place in "town" but it's quite well placed for some of the trails and has a bird table which attracts quite a lot of common species (Long-tailed Sibia, Silver Eared Mesia, Streaked Spiderhunter, Chestnut-crowned (? - not got my field guide with me) Laughingthrush were all regular and easy to photograph), it's quite well placed for the road to the waterfalls where we saw Slaty-backed Forktail and were told that it can be quite good for Malayan Whistling Thrush and one of the Broadbills (Silver and Black?). They also do a splendid afternoon tea on the lawn

There are plenty of other places in town, some of which get mediocre reviews. It's an odd place, not at all big but very spread out. Without a car you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Food at the Smokehouse was expensive and a bit odd but quite good and if you're yearning English style food might be worth splashing out. Much cheaper and we thought really good was a place called Hillview which was on the road to the road to the left of the Clock Tower (in the direction of the Smokehouse).

At a guess, Smokehouse was £60 a night for two, B&B. If that's a bit much for your budget on your long trip, I'm sure that someone else can offer a decent alternative, or you could stick a post on the Malaysia forum on tripadvisor.com or a similar site, where there will also be hotel reviews.

Just checked - Smokehouse was £108 for two nights. We booked through marimari.com. The GBP to MYR rate has improved since we paid for it (was 5.06, now 5.31) so that might shave a few quid off the price.

Our hire car for 12 days was £280 (kasina rent-a-car) and petrol less than 2 MYR a litre. We were going to have a 4x4 but they only had it in automatic transmission (I loathe automatics) so we ended up with a little Proton which was more than adequate for the job - the roads are pretty good.

What we did's on page 6, post 140, link to page below

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=100901&page=6

Maybe the situation might have changed, but I'm guessing the bus is still no longer running. When you get to the main square at Fraser's Hill there's a small rank of eateries, and the cheap place is behind them. I'd recommend asking for Mr. Durai, the local birder, who'll probably bend over backwards to help you find cheapest place to stay and help in any way he can, as he did with us when the cheap place was shut down. Many people in town will know where he is, and he's a really nice bloke. Note also that when we were there the accommodation at the Gap was also shut down.

Last edited:
Durai is the best. Contacting hime when you get there or before would be a good thing. He'll give you the best advice on lodging. It's been 5 years since my wife and I were there ------ but if the restaurant is still running behind the mosque ---- I'd highly recommend it. We walked everywhere there. Nice local folks. Enjoyed good soup and great fruits with the locals. Also, great bugs up there.

I've been enjoying the Australia report. Still my favorite birds ever. Thanks so much for taking the time to write these things for all to read......chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back