• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

foxy behavior (1 Viewer)

vicky@glos

Hi all,
Just thought I would tell you of my fox sighting yesterday at about 3pm.

I was watering some plants at the bottom of my garden and I then stood at my gate looking over into the dell where my local fox family have their den. And within a few seconds of looking that way the red fox (as seen in gallery) hopped onto the big bales of hay that are rolled up and sitting in the dell. The fox looked at me for a few moments and then walked on top of these bales around in a circle and then disappeared.

This I must class as one of the best sightings I have had so far of this fox. The dell is just the other side of the small paddock the other side of my garden wall.

As ever I wish I had my camera with me at the time but I did not. Shame on me!

I did however get a picture of a sparowhawk or kesteral not sure yet until I get the photos back. See I had my camera then but not my bins.

I have thought that we should have a digital camera connected to our eyes so we can record whatever we see when we see it. Just download our memories into the computer and print off the pictures we have stored. Maybe this is the future!

Vicky@glos

Hi Vicky
I have I think, 6 foxes hanging around my yard this winter. I live 50 km in the bush and my yard is surrounded on three sides by 50 foot pine and poplar and spruce trees. My favorite fox (Buddy, in the gallery) is the only one that comes near us. We have two that are black and they are stunning! The foxes are definitely one of my favorite animals. I'm hoping they'll hang around longer and bring a few babies for us to see in the spring. I can hope! Enjoy yours.

Black foxes. I bet they are magnificent looking animals. I can't recall ever seeing one. Both you and Vicky are lucky having them so close to you. I know they are not every ones favourite animal but I like them and can't see them often enough.

Black Fox

John,
Here is a shot of a black fox for you. Unfortunately, this one we named Bandit succumbed to mange 2 years ago. He sure was stunning though and very sweet too. The black fox we have hanging around right now is actually smaller than this one and she has more black. She's darker overall. A real beauty!
So far, so good this year.... no sign of mange!

Attachments

• bandit.jpg
    bandit.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 198
My Favorite Fox

Here is a shot of Buddy, the fox that adopted us! I was concerned that after us being away for two weeks, he wouldn't come back. I didn't see him for a whole week and missed him terribly. But, he returned to his favorite spot on the front snow bank at the end of last week. I got a few new pictures of him this morning. Sure is beauty, isn't he! His eyes are half closed because he got a bit of snow in them plus it was awfully bright.

Attachments

• buddy3.jpg
    buddy3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 200
Vicki I cannot imagine having a fox so close to where I live.. were that to be I would be next best to thinking I lived at Heaven's gate for sure!
I like your idea of downloading memories that would certainly be less expensive then the gear nowadays!

Tammie.. your foxes are magnificent... I love the black one but Buddy seems to have grabbed my heart.. excellent shots and thanks for sharing your world with us.That is just so neat.

Tammie,
How lucky to have "Buddy" as a a a buddy! He looks in the picture of health. We have them in New Jersey, but their scarce as "hen's teeth".

Vicky, Like your idea, downloading memories, look at the $$$ we could save on equipement to $$$ on plane fare to get more!

Tammie, what spectacular pictures! I think Buddy has captured another heart!

I don't think I've ever seen a fox in the wild -- just, unfortunately, as roadkill. I'm told, though, that 12-15 years ago, a family denned in the ditch that runs along my little street, only a block or so off a major highway here in town (and I live only a little over a mile from the center of the city). I would have loved to have seen that!!

Another Buddy Shot

I just couldn't resist, I had to show you guys this one! I just took it about an hour ago, just before it got dark. I can't get over just how beautiful this animal is. I sure hope he's adopted us permanently!

Attachments

• buddy - face.jpg
    buddy - face.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 200
OOOOOOhhhhhhhh! He's just a GORGEOUS boy, isn't he!! What a terrific picture that is, Tammie!

I can see what you're so enamoured of your foxes; I am, too!

Tammie, thats one outstanding image! Nice that he "poses".
Two years ago while Birding a Barrier Coast Island, I spotted a Red Fox feeding on migrant songbirds that had managed to fly back to shore after a heavy Blow. Nature can be cruel to observe but we all encounter "part of the great plan" at one time or another. When he spotted me he sat and watched what I was up to. My scope must have looked menacing from his location.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back