• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found a morning dove that can't fly (4 Viewers)

touchdowns

Hello, my name is Trish from Michigan. We stopped in the middle of the road to let this bird fly away but it ended up just hopping across the road (while trying to fly). We came back 10 minutes later and saw it sitting on the side of the road. Of course my kids were crying for me to rescue it. I picked it up and stuck it in a very big enclosed dog kennel. I gave it some finch feed that we put in our feeders and some water. It doesn't seem able to fly with it's right wing. I'm not sure if it is broken or just hurt and sore. It stayed the night with us out in the garage in the kennel. I let it out in the yard today to see if it could fly and still no go. Anyone have suggestions? Oh by the way it is a morning dove and the closest vet's office is an hour away.

First of, may I extend a warm welcome to you to Birdforum, a pleasure to have you aboard.

So, to the bird, are there any wildlife rehab centres within striking distance ..perhaps a phone call to one of those could provide some advice.

Hi Touchdowns and welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I understand that it is illegal to keep a wild bird in your country. You really need to get it to a vet or rehabber as soon as possible.

There may be someone along soon with some 'meanwhile' advice for you, however.

Please let us know how you get on

D

Hi touchdowns,
About all I can add to the above advice from the others is that you should be able to get a list of rehabbers from a vet or call your state wildlife agency and ask for contact info for a rehabber. Good luck and thanks for caring.

Here's one link to Michigan rehabbers

Hi touchdowns a very warm welcome to you

it couldnt fly with its right wing was it holding it out often? like to stretch it? and when it put it in flightless position was it bent?

Last edited:
Not sure what part of Michigan you are in and Michigan seems to be sadly lacking in Wildlife Rehabbers. If neither of these two are nearby then as suggested a call to your local vet who might know of a couple of others.

Hello and welcome by the way ;)

Michigan, Central

Michigan, Central region (Bay City)..... 517-893-8987

Sandy Miner, Wildlife Support Team Specialty: specialize in birds of prey; flight cage construction Michigan, Central region, Genesee County (Flint)..... 810-238-4017 or 810-341-1697

Carolyn Fell (director), licensed home wildlife rehabilitator [email protected] Wildlife Species: all animals accepted except skunks or bats

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. We ended up brining it to a vet that specializes in dealing with hurt birds and she ended up keeping it for us. She is going to try and rehabilitate the dove. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice.

Tricia

Thanks for the update Tricia. I do hope it all goes well for your Dove.

Is the vet likely to inform you of the eventual outcome? I'm sure we'd all love to know what happens

D

Mourning in the morning

touchdowns said:
Hello, my name is Trish from Michigan. We stopped in the middle of the road to let this bird fly away but it ended up just hopping across the road (while trying to fly). We came back 10 minutes later and saw it sitting on the side of the road. Of course my kids were crying for me to rescue it. I picked it up and stuck it in a very big enclosed dog kennel. I gave it some finch feed that we put in our feeders and some water. It doesn't seem able to fly with it's right wing. I'm not sure if it is broken or just hurt and sore. It stayed the night with us out in the garage in the kennel. I let it out in the yard today to see if it could fly and still no go. Anyone have suggestions? Oh by the way it is a morning dove and the closest vet's office is an hour away.

I guess your dove is an American Mourning Dove. I didn't even know there was an American one. I find it's not even in the same genus as the African one I know. Anyway it's probably a road casualty. It may just have a sprung wing (sort of sprained) and will recover with food and rest but it's more likely it is broken and would need a costly vet's operation to fix it. In the latter case you could keep it as a pet if it wasn't suffering but it wouldn't ever be able to fly. This is my first attempt at corresponding in this forum and I'm not all that sure I've typed my reply in the correct place but I'll press 'send' and see what happens. I'm in East Yorkshire, England by the way, Bye Cliff Carter

Hi Cliff I see this is your first post so may I welcome you on behalf of all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm glad you joined us.

D

I found an injured mourning dove. It’s the female and her mate was trying to help her she can’t fly. I placed her in a dog kennel with food and water on my back patio. Will her mate come find her? I’m concerned he will abandon her after I put her in the cage to heal.

Hi Dovely and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I hope you find them useful. If she has a broken wing it won't mend itself and will need professional care.

Please let us know how it gets on

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back