• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest of Dean - Hawfinch (1 Viewer)

WHIMBREL

A lifelong Naturalist...
15+ hawfinch showing at Brierley yesterday morning, and at New Fancy viewpoint around mid day goshawk perched up in spruce. Just up the road at the poorly named Boys Grave the great grey shrike was showing well but at a distance.

Hope this is of some use to any 'Bird Forumer' planning to visit.

Bill

I checked out Brierley at about 4.30pm but no birds seen and also no Goshawks from new Fancy between 2.30pm - 4.15pm.

Were the hawfinches in the usual area on the ground?

Thanks Bill - looking to go with Luke next week on my return from Kent

Karl,

You should have a great day out, there is really too much to take in, we only went to three places, from 9am until we left at around 5.45pm...you know how the time flies when your birding in good territory!!!

Best Wishes,

Bill

PS. See your enjoying yourself in Kent, rough legged buzzard...:t:

I checked out Brierley at about 4.30pm but no birds seen and also no Goshawks from new Fancy between 2.30pm - 4.15pm.

Were the hawfinches in the usual area on the ground?

I'm sorry you were unlucky at both Brierley and New Fancy. The hawfinch were on treetop and foraging at ground (usual areas) from around 9.30 until 11ish, also flying over the forestry track intermittently. I've never visited Brierley in the late afternoon for the hawfinch.

Regards,

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back