• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flower identification please (1/2) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
I found this flower on the local canal and can not identify it in my Collins Wild Guide book on flowers. Please help.

:brains:

Attachments

• mystery01.jpg
    mystery01.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 306
Looks like a Cardamine. Not exactly sure of which species (definately not that obnoxious garden weed Hairy Bittercress Cardamine hirsuta!) could be C. pratensis the Cuckoo flower.

Cuckoo flower loves moist or even wet saturated soils so this would certainly ring true next to a canal.
The flower colour is variable ranging from mid purple to pale lilac and white as in this form.

I looked at Cuckoo flower and it is very similar but my book has none of the thin reddish pointy things. What are these?

Hi Andrew. The thin red pointy things are the fruit capsules extending after fertilization of the flower. When ripe, the two outer walls spring back with some force against the central strip, flinging the double row of seeds in all directions.

Wow, that's interesting to know. I was going to post all this in a picture int he gallery but the focus on the flower is not all too good.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back