• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flower identication please (2/2) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
I also found this "flower" on the local canal and can not identify it in my Collins Wild Guide book on flowers. Please help.

:brains:

Attachments

• mystery02.jpg
    mystery02.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 277
Almost certainly a Galium of some sort. The cross like flowers and ring of leaves at intervals gives the genus away. Just think of it's less attractive relative Goosegrass or Cleavers Galium aparine that kids (and adults) throw at each other to stick onto their clothes.
Ladies Bedstraw is another in the same genus but I don't think it's that. Definately a Galium of some sort though.
Don't have my Wild flower book handy unfortunately.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I shall need to study some more books in the bookshop as the Collins obviously is not wide ranging.

Just as an after thought, did you know that Galium verum, Lady's Bedstraw was used as an alternative to animal rennin for clotting milk to make cheese?

I had seen something on a local programme about this but did not pay much attention to it as I was not a nature lover at the time! Very interesting, I will have to collect some to make mine!! LOL.

A close relative of the Galium genus is Asperula, with Asperula odorata (Actually now considered to be in the genus Galium) in flower in woodland. It is better know as Sweet Woodruff with
white sweet smelling flowers, and makes a quite attractive garden plant for shaded areas.

Attachments

• sweet_woodruff.jpg
    sweet_woodruff.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 635
And of course we all know Galium aparine by the name of Cleavers, or Goosegrass.
I once pushed someone into a bed of it, and couldn't stop laughing when they emerged!
I was only little at the time.

Attachments

• cleavers.jpg
    cleavers.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 260
I used to throw the stuff on my family's backs when out for walks as a wee sprog too. Then wait to see how long it was before they sussed it out!

an old country name for this one is eye bright, Nina.

Andy see if you can find an old AA Book of the british countryside, that hasa load of very useful information, I was given the 1973 edition and I am constantly referring to it when all else fails, Nina.

Yes. it is identified by the hairs along opposite edges of the stem. If the hairs are all around the stem it would be the similar Veronica montana (Wood Speedwell) Germander is the most striking of the speedwells & once you learn the jizz it is unmistakeable.

Nina P said:
an old country name for this one is eye bright, Nina.

be carful with this name. It is not one that I know. are you confused with Common Eyebright (Euphrasia nemorosa)?

CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back