• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida in August ! (1 Viewer)

Goat

Okay don't ask why we are taking a holiday somewhere near Orlando in August without kids !!
So where should I look to accidently get lost around ? Or is it so hot there I'll get just the local hardy residents(whatever they may be ! )wherever I go
I know about the Space Centre Reserve, but that is it.
Should I buy a identification book here or wait until I get there and in either case which is the one ?? Oh and are the rumours true about the humidity and do I need therefore to take precautions with camera/binoculars ?

Thanks for all the help I know you'll give ....

There's a wildlife reserve at Merritt Island (? The Refuge) which you can drive round. Skimmers, Bald Eagles, Egrets etc. This is just down the road from the Space Centre.
In August it's going to be boiling hot so early morning is best - you tend to get thunderstorms at tea time. I expect you'll be diving in and out of an air conditioned car and sometimes bins will steam up, but it shouldn't be a real problem.
A book before you go would be useful, as you will see Swallows, Egrets, American Coot etc. on the way to baggage reclaim, as you travel along a mono-rail thing, so it's useful to have some idea of the common stuff before you go. Also bookshops are a bit of a rarity and you don't want to be faffing about shopping on your first day.

Thanks

I have been told about the heat ! but not the thunder !!
Will nip down to Slimbridge, they had the Nth America books in there. Shame about the bookshops, about the only place I'd head for in the 'Malls'

Merritts Island I have checked out on all the sites so that's well on the list and another site even said that DisneyWorld produced something new!

Hi Chris, I wouldn't worry if you can't get a book before you go,Orlando has plenty of book shops...Borders,Barnes and Noble etc. Sibley Field Guide to EASTERN north America will have all you need and is pocket sized...costs $20 in Orlando (around £11)but there are plenty of Threads about N Am Bird Books if you search this Forum.

Merritt Island is a 'must' and it will be a bit cooler on the coast...Tony is right about the weather being generally better in the mornings.

The link to the Florida Birding Trail below should give you plenty of info for other birding sites,but please get back to me if you have any specific queries.

http://www.floridabirdingtrail.com/

Hi Chris,

I'm not to familiar with the orlando area, but if you will be venturing down south into the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, I can give you all the hotspots. PM me if interested. A handy reference book is Bill Pranty's "Birders guide to florida" which I would NOT recommend purchasing since a new edition is due out this year.

Good birding!

Many thanks for all the posts, am looking forward to next week - even if it is with three other non-birders. Have checked out the sites, even was silly enough to type in 'bush' as a keyword so you can imagine where I ended up ( er what is Jeb short for ?)
Now :news: all we need is poor weather for another few days and may even get in a launch from Canaveral!

Go to the orlando wetlands, it is on the Florida birding trail mentioned in a previous post, there are Racoons, possums, deer, there as well as a great number of birds least bittern, purple gallinue, red shouldered hawks, plus lots more, I went there twice in a recent visit.

Mark

MarkHows said:
Go to the orlando wetlands, it is on the Florida birding trail mentioned in a previous post, there are Racoons, possums, deer, there as well as a great number of birds least bittern, purple gallinue, red shouldered hawks, plus lots more, I went there twice in a recent visit.

Mark

You forgot to mention the Alligators!...I agree,a very good site,less than an hour's drive from Orlando.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back