• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First day of birding in Taiwan (1 Viewer)

brd

So, i'm a bit of a beginning birder, having really only started last year, but I have spent the last two years observing the birds of West Virginia and Oregon, and have recently taken to bird photography (although the best lens I could afford so far is a 70-300, not quite bird stength).
I was excited to come to Taiwan and check out some birds, since there are obviously so many that I have never seen before and won't see again for some time. I purchased the Brazil book and brought my camera, but regrettably forgot my bins in san francisco when i was down there last week with some friends.
On my first day here in Taipei (where I will be for the next 6 months) I went to Da'an park and was happy to snap pics of seven lifers. None that were that exciting to a Taiwanese birder, but to me they were great. There were Chinese Bulbuls, Oriental Turtle Doves, and Eurasian Tree Sparrows when I first walked in. Then I saw the sign for the pond and thought I would check out some water fowl. When I got there, I was captivated by the Black Crested Night Heron and started snapping pics until one of the men standing near me pointed out what his friend and him were taking pictures of, a Northern Goshawk. Later, in reading the Brazil book, he made it sound like it was not very commonly seen here, is that true? Anyways, got some soso pictures of him and added to it with pictures of the Common Moorhen, Little Egret, and Japanese Whiteeye, and went home feeling great!
If anyone has some suggestions on birding, I would love to hear them. Of course, as you may have guessed, seeing the Formosan Blue Magpie and getting some photos is at the top of the list, so any pointers on where to see them (Im blanking on the name of the large park just north of Taipei) is much appreciated.
Thanks, sorry about the novel!

Attachments

• IMG_0199a.jpg
    IMG_0199a.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
It is really nice to go somewhere new and see so many new birds, which are easy to see and really beautiful. The tree sparrows are really beautiful birds, and especially in fresh plumage, but it is easy to get jaded after seeing lots of them - however, you get to see them with new eyes!

I'm sorry I can't comment on places to go or your nice raptor, but will look forward to hearing more of what you find and get pictures of.

Hi there,

Looks like you are going to have a good time! Your bird of prey actually looks more like a young Crested Goshawk, not a Northern as suggested. If you look carefully, you can see the crest and amongst other things, a gular stripe through the middle of the throat. This should be a valuable resource for you - http://orientalbirdimages.org/birdi..._ID=850&Bird_Image_ID=54738&Bird_Family_ID=96 and this also http://www.birdingintaiwan.com/

Any query bird images you can always post in the bird identification section.

Last edited:
Would agree with Rockfowl. The bird is a Crested Goshawk, not Northern Goshawk.

A really nice pic too :)

Sean

PS Yagminshan National Park is the area to the NE of Taipei where Blue Magpie occur, especially around Chiang-Kai Sek's former residence. Some other greT birds there, but go early on a weekday to avoid the crowds if possible.

So, i'm a bit of a beginning birder, having really only started last year, but I have spent the last two years observing the birds of West Virginia and Oregon, and have recently taken to bird photography (although the best lens I could afford so far is a 70-300, not quite bird stength).
I was excited to come to Taiwan and check out some birds, since there are obviously so many that I have never seen before and won't see again for some time. I purchased the Brazil book and brought my camera, but regrettably forgot my bins in san francisco when i was down there last week with some friends.
On my first day here in Taipei (where I will be for the next 6 months) I went to Da'an park and was happy to snap pics of seven lifers. None that were that exciting to a Taiwanese birder, but to me they were great. There were Chinese Bulbuls, Oriental Turtle Doves, and Eurasian Tree Sparrows when I first walked in. Then I saw the sign for the pond and thought I would check out some water fowl. When I got there, I was captivated by the Black Crested Night Heron and .....

Hi, brd,

Welcome to Taiwan.
Da'an Park is about 200 meters away from my house.
I often walk in the Park.
There are many kinds of birds in the park.

You say you were in West Virgina last two years.
I also vistited WV last october for two weeks. ( My daughter lives in Morgantown, WV.)
But I didn't watch bird those days.

You got a very nice shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back