• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies 2024 (1 Viewer)

They are about ... but well camouflaged! I've only seen 5 - one on the back door when we lived in Falmouth, the other 4 in three separate places after cutting bramble and they appeared out of the cut material. Not tried active searching.

Must be quite a lot around for that level of accidental encounters. Can't imagine i'd travel for one but it would be nice to see one one day

I still haven't seen a butterfly this year and I doubt I'll see one this afternoon as it is cool, overcast and windy. Must be the first year I haven't seen at least a couple of species by the end of April. It has been a horrible spring here, Aviemore.

I still haven't seen a butterfly this year and I doubt I'll see one this afternoon as it is cool, overcast and windy. Must be the first year I haven't seen at least a couple of species by the end of April. It has been a horrible spring here, Aviemore.
That's global warming for you ... ;-)

We had 10 days or so of nice weather down here in Cornwall, but I still didn't see many butterflies in that period. Back to winter again here now (but that's probably only relative, compared to up north).

Finally broke my butterfly duck yesterday, a Small Tortoiseshell at Grantown-on-Spey and a Comma just outside Nethybridge. Commas still aren't that common in the Highlands so that was a particularly good sighting. Today I saw a Peacock butterfly in Craigellachie NNR just outside Aviemore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back