• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February Moths 2023 (1 Viewer)

The local mothing group trapped last Friday evening in Botley Wood, Hampshire, a really good site. In mild conditions we had 11 different species with the star moths being Red Sword-Grass and carpatolechia decorella, a lifer for me.

Dave W

Just a Common Quaker on the wall last night and what I thought might be of interest?
The “variability” of Pale Brindled Beauty taken on the 11th and 15th respectively.

Attachments

• 0AD2EA1B-5437-4496-8093-32C88E29B1F5.jpeg
    0AD2EA1B-5437-4496-8093-32C88E29B1F5.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 16AE8FFD-9C4D-492E-B107-6D4454FC804B.jpeg
    16AE8FFD-9C4D-492E-B107-6D4454FC804B.jpeg
    822 KB · Views: 8
  • 7B878D9F-B91F-4346-A356-2BD1DDEF68F7.jpeg
    7B878D9F-B91F-4346-A356-2BD1DDEF68F7.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Just a Common Quaker on the wall last night and what I thought might be of interest?
The “variability” of Pale Brindled Beauty taken on the 11th and 15th respectively.
Or as we say, the variability (note absence of totally unnecessary inverted commas) of Spring Usher.

John

Or as we say, the variability (note absence of totally unnecessary inverted commas) of Spring Usher.

John
Yes, I often make a point of drawing attention to things that surprise myself and or are anomalous real or imagined.
As in this case, where I confused one with the other…thanks for pointing it out old sport.👍

Yes, I often make a point of drawing attention to things that surprise myself and or are anomalous real or imagined.
As in this case, where I confused one with the other…thanks for pointing it out old sport.👍
My dear friend, I'm sure you don't intend to drive me bonkers but those quote marks of yours do.... my old English master Henry Spearman used to advise on all sorts of punctuation, "if in doubt, leave it out" and I could enjoy your amusing musings so much more if you did! 👍

Congrats on the Spring Ushers as well, I haven't had one in my garden yet and haven't a single picture of one.

Cheers

John

My dear friend, I'm sure you don't intend to drive me bonkers but those quote marks of yours do.... my old English master Henry Spearman used to advise on all sorts of punctuation, "if in doubt, leave it out" and I could enjoy your amusing musings so much more if you did! 👍

Congrats on the Spring Ushers as well, I haven't had one in my garden yet and haven't a single picture of one.

Cheers

John
Can’t teach an old dog…you should know that.😉
On the subject of Spring Ushers…one more + a Beauty.👍

Attachments

• 270A558A-537A-495E-9152-CE4949762313.jpeg
    270A558A-537A-495E-9152-CE4949762313.jpeg
    799.4 KB · Views: 7
The temp.was registering 1c at 11pm tonight and this Beauty was still on the wall beneath the halogen, presume making the most of the ambient “heat”….Got me wondering about the lowest temperature extremes that moth species can withstand?

Attachments

• B3F529F5-6022-40B4-BAEB-26D4BACAAE5E.jpeg
    B3F529F5-6022-40B4-BAEB-26D4BACAAE5E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
The temp.was registering 1c at 11pm tonight and this Beauty was still on the wall beneath the halogen, presume making the most of the ambient “heat”….Got me wondering about the lowest temperature extremes that moth species can withstand?
Most moth species are able to survive temperatures below freezing by entering a state of dormancy known as diapause. During diapause, the moth's metabolism slows down and they conserve energy until conditions become more favorable. Some species are also able to produce a type of antifreeze to prevent their bodily fluids from freezing.

However, the exact temperature limits for moth survival can vary widely. Some species, such as the Arctic woolly bear moth, are adapted to survive temperatures as low as -70°C (-94°F), while others may not be able to survive temperatures below -10°C (14°F).

Most moth species are able to survive temperatures below freezing by entering a state of dormancy known as diapause. During diapause, the moth's metabolism slows down and they conserve energy until conditions become more favorable. Some species are also able to produce a type of antifreeze to prevent their bodily fluids from freezing.

However, the exact temperature limits for moth survival can vary widely. Some species, such as the Arctic woolly bear moth, are adapted to survive temperatures as low as -70°C (-94°F), while others may not be able to survive temperatures below -10°C (14°F).
Wow, such extreme temps there!…very interesting, many thanks.👍

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back