• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extralimital Raptor (1 Viewer)

Raptor140

I only have a few shots of this bird that visited our garden (my wife spotted it on two separate mornings and got some fuzzy shots). I'm hoping that it may be a Honey Buzzard (maybe Oriental and somewhat juvenile) that took a long trip outside normal bounds to pay us a visit.
Judging from the size of the Pine stump and telephone box I guess the size to be around 40+cm. It walked up and down the branches apparently foraging (but there are still a few occupied Dove and Starling nests in the tree - maybe without eggs?).
Serious rain started after these 2 visits, so I'm wondering if it has maybe packed up and left for dryer/warmer climes.
File 3210 is HEAVILY doctored ....

Attachments

• DSCN3219_resize.JPG
    DSCN3219_resize.JPG
    564.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN3208_resize.JPG
    DSCN3208_resize.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN3214_resize.JPG
    DSCN3214_resize.JPG
    686.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3210_resize.JPG
    DSCN3210_resize.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Safariranger
My understanding is that African Harrier Hawk is an alternative name for what I know as the Gymnogene.....
I am pretty sure this is not a Gymnogene. Facial feathering alone rules it out completely ....and that eyeliner is very distinctive...

It's without a doubt an immature African Harrier-Hawk. Facial feathering and even the dark facial markings are bang on the money for that species. Apart from the various ID features that fit African Harrier-Hawk perfectly and are wrong for either species of Honey-Buzzard (bands on tail, length of tarsi, etc.), Honey Buzzard would be spending its time in the northern hemisphere right now and Oriental specifically never comes anywhere close to Africa, let alone the southern most tip of it at the wrong time of year.

As stated by the others, this is a young African Harrier Hawk displaying what is usually a common plumage for them. I echo in Deestes statements. Classic signs of the AHH's facial mask. Also note the very long and completely featherless legs.

So now the weight of opinion weighs heavily against what I want to believe...
I did make a turn down at the local vlei on Tuesday to see if I could get a look and some better photos. Closest Gymnogene I've seen is Stellenbosch (which is much closer than the Honey Buzzard). I have to admit that I had only looked at images in Roberts' until I searched for Honey Buzzards on the internet and when I found some promising results, I didn't search for other alternatives. Re-reviewing the images that I had located on the internet (as well as some additional shots of the Gymnogene), I must admit that, although I can't reconcile the facial markings .... I must bow to the greater weight of opinions and experience here.

And, of course, thanks to all for the enlightenment.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back