• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Evening Grosbeak (2 Viewers)

Interesting question, Mike. They've been reported in east-central North Carolina so I would have thought anywhere in Minnesota, Grosbeaks would be common. But, eBird shows few south of Duluth, including only one report from Minneapolis. We're still waiting for them here in western North Carolina. It's been 25 years....

Steve

Interesting question, Mike. They've been reported in east-central North Carolina so I would have thought anywhere in Minnesota, Grosbeaks would be common. But, eBird shows few south of Duluth, including only one report from Minneapolis. We're still waiting for them here in western North Carolina. It's been 25 years....

Steve
Thanks for the reply. I used to live 30 miles northeast of where I live now. I always had them at my feeders as they migrated from Canada and northern Minnesota in search of food. I've lived here in Ogilvie, Minnesota for 9 years now and still have never been able to attract one. I have plenty of black sunflower seed, and even made a pond that I have a heater and air stones in to keep my pond open year round for birds. I'll get them one of these years. Lol

A couple of years ago, we made the trek to Sax-Zim bog in February and saw a good number of Grosbeaks at various feeders. I'll bet you're aware of that so I guess that you want them for a yard bird. My wife and I are in year 30 of building our yard bird list. The last Evening Grosbeaks we had at our feeders came in 1995. Like you, we figure they'll show up one of these years.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back