• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elusive Hard To Find 8x32 HD Golden Ring Leupold Binos (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hi Folks ... How many of us has sold a binocular or scope & later down the road wished they had not. Well I am one of those people. I stupidly did that when I sold my pair of Leupold 8x32 HD Golden Rings. I have been searching the internet for about a year til last FRI. when the binocular Gods answered my search, by pointing my mouse on my computer to "Simmons Sporting Good Store in Bastrop LA" . They now are on their way to their new home, where they will never feel unloved, ever be sold , traded or put up for adoption. For those of you still looking don't dispair, if you really wish it the binocular gods will show you the way:-O ..... gwen

Hi Folks ... How many of us has sold a binocular or scope & later down the road wished they had not. Well I am one of those people. I stupidly did that when I sold my pair of Leupold 8x32 HD Golden Rings. I have been searching the internet for about a year til last FRI. when the binocular Gods answered my search, by pointing my mouse on my computer to "Simmons Sporting Good Store in Bastrop LA" . They now are on their way to their new home, where they will never feel unloved, ever be sold , traded or put up for adoption. For those of you still looking don't dispair, if you really wish it the binocular gods will show you the way:-O ..... gwen

Congrats, I have done similar lucky for me I was able to find something to take the place.

Just curious, I looked at Leupold, I've even owned two different models Pinnacles and cascades, both were OK. I even looked at the gold ring you have coming your way in the 8x42 and they looked nice in the store but I'm just curious if you could share what makes those elusive 8x32's so desirable.

You wrote in a different thread that the Alpen Rainier 8x32 could be the equal of the Leupold Gold ring 8x32 HD. The weight of the Leupold GR (non HD) is 27 oz. and the Alpen Rainier of 25 oz.

Right now I propose that the ZenRay 9x36 could be as good as the Leupold Gold ring.
The Zen Ray is 23 oz. , Clearly in the same weight class. This also means that the prism size is comparable!

I have enjoyed my ZR 9x36 very much. It is definitely more relaxing to match up my eyes to the exit pupil than the Sightron BS SII 8x32. The slightly greater magnification does bring better resolution compared to the 8x. Of course it can be a bit more affected to the shake of me holding it. I do like the odd measurement binoculars!
Rob.

I have both the Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 and The Alpen Rainier 8x32. I find the Alpens to be at least as good as the Leupolds and in some ways better. I have tried the ZR 9x36 and they are a nice view also, but not quite in the same class as the others in my opinion. I liked them much better than the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 in the view and build quality. Of course the Sightrons are a nice buy at their price.

Congrats, I have done similar lucky for me I was able to find something to take the place.

Just curious, I looked at Leupold, I've even owned two different models Pinnacles and cascades, both were OK. I even looked at the gold ring you have coming your way in the 8x42 and they looked nice in the store but I'm just curious if you could share what makes those elusive 8x32's so desirable.

Hi ... I originally sold the Leupold's when I purchased the Viper 6x32HD thinking the 6x would be enough since they were as sharp as the leupold's but because of the combination of my eyes getting worse & the desire to see more detail recently, the 6x power just does not give me what I want any more. I know now I should have kept the Leupold's. Now because of my age & the fact money was never really a problem Iam going to buy it whether I use it one time or every day. Getting to the question about why I found them to be so desirable .... to my eye's they have given me the best optical view of any 8x32 I have ever looked thru. The only Alpha's out there I have not tried is the Nikon EDG, the highend Kowa's & I have no reason to believe I would like them any better given their spec's. Also their eyecups just fit perfect to my face, with the ocular lens being huge combined with its long eyerelief just makes this a very nice binocular to use with my glasses on or off. I know people did not care for its weight but I found it helps make them shake less. .... gwen

:t:
You wrote in a different thread that the Alpen Rainier 8x32 could be the equal of the Leupold Gold ring 8x32 HD. The weight of the Leupold GR (non HD) is 27 oz. and the Alpen Rainier of 25 oz.

Right now I propose that the ZenRay 9x36 could be as good as the Leupold Gold ring.
The Zen Ray is 23 oz. , Clearly in the same weight class. This also means that the prism size is comparable!

I have enjoyed my ZR 9x36 very much. It is definitely more relaxing to match up my eyes to the exit pupil than the Sightron BS SII 8x32. The slightly greater magnification does bring better resolution compared to the 8x. Of course it can be a bit more affected to the shake of me holding it. I do like the odd measurement binoculars!
Rob.

Hi ... Yes I thought the Rainier could have been, I was wrong at least to my eyes. When I got them they just did not provide me with the same optical view which what made me like the Leupold's so much. I found the Rainier 8x32 focus too fast for me, with the image soft compared to the Leupold's. What I paid for the Rainier binoculars was a killer price but I'd rather own the Leupold's even with them costing me $200 more . I have owned the Zen Ray ZR 8x42, the 7x36 ED2 & the 8x43 ED3, if I had to keep just one binocular it would be the Leupold 8x32 HD . I have never looked thru the 9x36. .... gwen

Hi ... I originally sold the Leupold's when I purchased the Viper 6x32HD thinking the 6x would be enough since they were as sharp as the leupold's but because of the combination of my eyes getting worse & the desire to see more detail recently, the 6x power just does not give me what I want any more. I know now I should have kept the Leupold's. Now because of my age & the fact money was never really a problem Iam going to buy it whether I use it one time or every day. Getting to the question about why I found them to be so desirable .... to my eye's they have given me the best optical view of any 8x32 I have ever looked thru. The only Alpha's out there I have not tried is the Nikon EDG, the highend Kowa's & I have no reason to believe I would like them any better given their spec's. Also their eyecups just fit perfect to my face, with the ocular lens being huge combined with its long eyerelief just makes this a very nice binocular to use with my glasses on or off. I know people did not care for its weight but I found it helps make them shake less. .... gwen

I'm envious!!! I wish i would of kept mine! Sold them to another forum member! They are excellent bins!!! Bryce...

I'm envious!!! I wish i would of kept mine! Sold them to another forum member! They are excellent bins!!! Bryce...

Bryce .... Nothing to be envious about !!!! ... I just opened the package, they sent me a pair of 8x32 leuopld binoculars but not the HD-62800. Never seen this model , must be discontinued back at least 15yrs or more. Iam glad I paid with my credit card because if they try & pull any crap with me not getting full payment including return shipping I will have my credit card company give me a charge back. :C .... gwen

I JUST posted this in the For Sale, but I've decided to sell my used excellent 10x42 GR HDs... :t:

As soon as I can get some pics, I'll put them up...

I'm moving some others also, to finance a set of Swarovskis. I said in an earlier thread I'd only sell to finance an alpha, and that's on the horizon.

I just need to decide on ONE PAIR to keep of all I have!

Last edited:
Thanks to all the positive remarks about the GR HD 8 x 32's I bought a pair earlier this year from a fellow forum member. They are the last pair of conventional binoculars I will ever buy and one of the handful of things I would never sell. Good luck in the hunt for a pair.

I just did a quick glance & posted the link. I just realized they were not the HDs.

I am thoroughly enjoying them, although I still wish they had a touch less ER. The view is stellar!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back