• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador - Feb. 2003(part 5 and final) (1 Viewer)

dennis

Have binoculars. Will travel.
February 23 - Location birded: Four Rivers Reserve(rain forest)

Species sighted(not previouly reported):

White-eyed(Choco) Trogon
White-tailed(Western) Trogon
Tyrannine Woodcreeper
Spot-crowned Antvireo
Chestnut-backed Antbird
Black-headed Antthrush
Yellow-bellied Elaenia
Boat-billed Flycatcher
Band-backed Wren
Bay Wren
Tawny-faced Gnatwren
Orange-billed Sparrow
Yellow-tailed Oriole

February 24 - Location birded: Calacali(just north of Quito), Mita del Mundo(the location of the famous equator monument) Both these locations are quite arid(a condition we found nowhere else during our trip).

Species added to list:

American Kestral
Common Ground-Dove
Purple-collared Woodstar
Tufted Tit-Tyrant
Vermilion Flycatcher
White-tailed Shrike-Tyrant
Rusty Flowerpiercer
Band-tailed Seedeater
Ash-breasted Sierra-Finch
Grassland Yellow-Finch
Hooded Siskin

So ends my accounting of the species one might encounter on a one week tour of northwestern Ecuador.

Note: study hummingbirds....I tallied 39 species of just this family.
In all 298 species made my triplist. A stunning 261 were life birds.

Generally speaking, one should be prepared for various weather conditions. At altitude it can be quite cold in the mornings while the lower elevations are hot and humid. Rain will be encountered almost daily but may not last for more than a hour or two.

Ecuador uses the U.S. dollar and English is spoken in the lodges and hotels. Elsewhere a basic knowledge of Spanish can be helpful.

A good guide, with an ear for the birds, is VERY helpful. This is especially true in rain and cloud forests.

"The Birds of Ecuador" by Ridgely and Greenfield would be my choice as "the" guidebook to take with you.

I recommend the services of the Tandayapa Bird Lodge and would be glad to answer any questions anyone may have about logistics.

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding the sites visited. [email protected]

A TRIP TO ECUADOR IS A BIRDING DREAM COME TRUE!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back