• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

east coast brazil (1 Viewer)

I shall be on a cruise ship calling at Recife, Salvador, and Rio De Janeiro on 3 separate days in early December. Does anyone know of a field guide that covers the East Coast. One that doesn't cost an arm or a leg, or needs a wheelbarrow to move it around. There is no way I shall be returning to this part of the world. So far, I'm not having much luck. Is this coastal area of Brazil neglected, birdwise ?. I would be grateful for any info received. Ray Thorneycroft

Have a look at the thread in the Brazil specific information wanted section. There's a thread started by me on books with good info.

Ray

I've never birded at sea in that region but do look out for the Trinidade Petrel that breeds offshore NE from the Brazilian mainland, a rare endemic.

Good birding, Alan

Aracari is right. A field guide by Sigrist & Brettas which covers all eastern and central Brazil (that would include, roughly speaking, all Brazilian territory but Amazon, but check the map in the link given below) is to be published in October, if with no delay. I think you would find it very useful, since it is pocket-sized, points out all the main field marks, and the drawings are quite reliable. I think you will have enough time to get it before your cruise. Try to pre-purchase as soon as possible, there was a good discount if you did so (don't know if it still is on).

http://www.avisbrasilis.com.br/descricao_guiadecampo.asp

Last edited:
Aracari is right. A field guide by Sigrist & Brettas which covers all eastern and central Brazil (that would include, roughly speaking, all Brazilian territory but Amazon, but check the map in the link given below) is to be published in October, if with no delay. I think you would find it very useful, since it is pocket-sized, points out all the main field marks, and the drawings are quite reliable. I think you will have enough time to get it before your cruise. Try to pre-purchase as soon as possible, there was a good discount if you did so (don't know if it still is on).

Thank you for your advice. I have purchased, "All the Birds of Brazil" The pictures may not be great, but the info and the distibution maps should be enough for me. As long as I can identify the common birds. Thanks again

Thank you for your advice. I have purchased "All the Birds of Brazil" Deodato Souza. While the pictures may leave alot to be desired, together with the information and the distribution maps, it should enable me to identify the common birds. I shall be along the east coast for five days. Ray Thorneycroft.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back