• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunge - Rye. Good pub lunch? (2 Viewers)

hollis_f

Hi All,

I'm off for my first trip to Rye Harbour and my second to Dungeness this weekend. We'd like to have lunch somewhere between. Can anybody recommend a pub where we can tank up?

TIA

hollis_f said:
Hi All,

I'm off for my first trip to Rye Harbour and my second to Dungeness this weekend. We'd like to have lunch somewhere between. Can anybody recommend a pub where we can tank up?

TIA
Hi,

Try the Woolpack - it's on the road between Rye and Dungeness. Food's good :t:

Went to Rye and Dunge last weekend for some excellent birding. 50+ Med Gulls for a start at Rye.

hollis_f said:
Hi All,

TIA

Is it standard procedure to "tank up" at a pub when you go birding in the British Isles? If so, let me state that I am impressed with your devotion to tradition!
B :) B :)
Bob

If you're planning to go the Woolpack this weekend (bank holidays) you need to get there early. It's not very big, and it's immensely popular. I would agree with Robin though, that it's the best place in the area.

The Pilot at Dungeness is highly recommended if you like nice sea food. It should be open. As Robin said the gull/tern spectacle at Rye at the moment is quite impressive (and noisy). The first summer migrants are just coming into Dungeness. There were 6 Yellow Wagtails and a Willow Warbler in the carpark last week.

It should be well worth the visit

Thanks to all. I'll try the Woolpack if we can get away early. Otherwise the Pilot, especially if the weather's OK.

Cheers.

The Pilot is cool if you don't mind standing around with blokes in roll neck pullovers singing sea shanties ... the pickled eggs taste like s**t however

Mark43 said:
Might see you there...i'm heading that way on Saturday more than likely.
Look out for a big, bald, bearded bloke - accompanied by a woman with a big white lens on her camera.

hollis_f said:
Look out for a big, bald, bearded bloke - accompanied by a woman with a big white lens on her camera.

Well it might be Sunday or Monday now as the car has decided to play up..........can't get the brakelights to work :-C :-C

Hope to see your report in "Your birding day"

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back