• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Ok Wednesday week I'm off to Dorset (staying near Dorchester) for a long weekend.

Would anyone care to recommend a few good sites? I'll pop into Radipole, Lodmoor and down to Portland (never been before) but my knowledge of the area is poor.

Any ideas on where to find a Crossbill? They are difficult around here.

The reserve at Arne is pretty good and you have a chance of seeing a Dartford Warbler.Also you get good views over Poole harbour.

MAX.

The best site I know for Dartfords is Canford Heath on the North edge of Poole. On a good day I've seen 20+ but its on a ridge line and if there is much a breeze they vanish. Multimap link below.

Canford Heath Map

Hi Pete,

bit of a way from Dorchester, but the Isle of Purbeck is a great place....

As mentioned, Arne is very good, as is Studland Heath - a very reliable place for Dartford Warbler in my experience.

From there you can pop over to Brownsea Island (via 2 ferries!!) which is always worth a visit.....

Rgds.... Ruby

pduxon said:
Any ideas on where to find a Crossbill? They are difficult around here.

Wareham Forest is where I always saw Crossbill, but have not been there for a couple of years. Park at Sherford Bridge,off the B3075. Go across the road & follow track westwards. Anywhere along there should be good. If you then wanted to see the reported Purple Heron, turn left onto the heath and head south to Morden Bog. Good for Woodlark as well. Hope you find them.

Regards,
Brian.

Worth looking in the gorse bushes around the car park @ lodmoor as there have been dartford warbles there.

Also grey partridge @ monkeys jump round about (end of dorchester by pass).

Last April I saw several Crossbills in the large trees on your right as you go through the first gate from the road at Sherford Bridge (see Brian' directions above). Plenty of Crossbills today at Fernworthy in Devon including several juvenile birds. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back