• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset sites for all round interest. (2 Viewers)

Nina P

Nina
Christchurch harbour,
The harbour is an inland tidal lagoon, which contains many types of fish, both freshwater and salt water/tidal tolerant breeds.
I have caught plaice in the harbour, and salmon often enter via the rip current of the Mudeford Run, there are beach huts on the southern side of the harbour and Hengistbury Head is a well known Archaeological site, with Ironstone as a major part of its geological structure, there are parts now suffering from erosion, but there has been some consevation to try and keep what is there, there. The sea off the head is dangerous and not many locals venture out in anything other than a sturdy boat, as rollers come in from diverse angles throughout the year.
The birds seen there are fairly normal for a seaside resort so the most exciting ones there most of the year are the skylarks which twitter away most of the year, and definately delight the ear.
The harbour side of the head does get some special arrivals occasionally, but the are more often seen on the opposite side of the water in a place called Stanpit marsh, there is a caravan there with environmental rangers, encompassing birds plants and insects, and during the summer these are manned some of the time, I will have to go there soon to see if access has been made easier, as being tidal water it isn't easy for me to access, but I used to love watching the shellducks and the dragonflies that were there, the curlew was another regular but I havenot been there for several years, and it was a delightful quiet place to comune with nature.
Christchurch, itself is rather touristy, but the chuch is interesting and soo too the castle keep that is there, along with the convent walk, and recent archaeological studies hav turned up interesting artefacts that are dislpayed in the local RED HOUSE museum, and the open green on the quayside is very nice to sit and watch the comings and goings of the swans, ducks and the occasional cormorant, last year there was a common seal who was reluctant to leave the calm waters of the harbour, and was frequently begging fish caught by the various anglers, and the concern was that it was sick, but it hasn't been seen this year, so far, but Tuckton was its favourite haunt where people walk along the banks and can enjoy the shelter of the trees there, or pop in the little cafe there.
A pretty place and with interest for the children too, lovely walks either side and just as enjoyable even in the rough winter weather when the blustery winds mean it is very quiet.
I will add another place another day so that by the spring next year I should have covered the greater part of this lovely county. Nina.
:bounce: B :) :t:

Heading out of Christchurch

Heading out of Christchurch, there is a place called St Catherines Hill, now this place is not well known and is a haunt of my youth, where you go up onto the Hill from Sandy lane, a gravel track takes you over the top, onto the other side there is what I would describe as a small patch of heathland where there used to be loads of sand lizards, little gorse but a fair showing of sundew, fly eating plants, when I was in my teens they were not so plentiful but they were still there last year, but you need to look closely as they are small and inconspicuous, but very fascinating.
Lots of this county is heathland but in varying qualities, and after seeing this little known place where to go next?
Continue out and along the Wessex way towards Ringwood, but when you reach the roundabout go across and into the ringwood forest area, some of it now is Moors Valley country park, here you can get guided tours of what is on show at the time of arrival, they do wonderful fungi forages, where they take you round and show you what is edible and what is not, and at the end of the foray they sometimes cook what has been gathered and you can sample the local delicacies, My dear old dad loved doing this each year, and said that is what is wonderful in life.
They have deer hides and tree top trails, and are attempting to encourage respect for the natural resources by showing what can be such a wonderful experience, perhaps then desecration will be less likely!!
Perhaps the follow on from this would be to venture into Ringwood, and just past the town you are into the New Forest, but that is in Hampshire, so out of bounds for this directory, but north of Ringwood you have lots of little villages, like Alderholt and Cranborne, and Martin just inside the county on the way to Salisbury, but the journey leading to these places can be very interesting as Avon causeway, Avon forest, and Ringwood forest are little oases of birdwatching heaven, and animal interests are pinemartens, deer, including Muntjack, and sika deer. Lesser spotted woodpeckers are common there, along with GSW's and Green woodpeckers. Ther have also been reports of a panther type of big cat that has mauled a dog that wandered too far from its owner.
The sunseeker rallye is held over parts of this forest, but when that is not on the nightjars take over during the summer and have their young all over the forest paths during July.
There are some fairly large towns and many interesting villages, each with it's own personality, and would certainly invite an inside look, which I may do sometime in the future, but for now I'm trying to cover the whole county.
:t:

Last edited:
East Cliff Bournemouth.

Recent report from the East cliff at Bournemouth:-
The European green lizard, reporetd as becoming rarer in europe is now making itself very much at home here on the east cliff at the Bournemouth resort, Holiday makers have remained totally unaware of the increase of the numbers of this fast increasing European rarity. This was reported in last weeks Daily Echo! anyone into Herpetology would be pleased to note this is now a breeding colony, and increasing rapidly, despite its demise on the continent!
:t:

Brownsea Island.

Ther is no way Brownsea Island can be left off this list, YOu need to take the island hopper from Sandbanks to reach this absolute gem of a place, But Be Warned, COVER UP, or smother yourself with insect repellant!! The mossies there will be after your blood!! With a vengeance!!
This place is a positive cracker of a place!! The last remaining stronghold for the red squirrel, the Shakespear Open air theatre is terriffic, Tickets from BOAT, Brownsea Open Air Theatre, Bournemouth. Will find the right place to obtain the required tickets should you wish, but the whole experience along with the wildlife, and through N.T. the bird hides and reserve are well woth every penny spent. the only thing I would advise is ( if you smoke, stay away) there is no fire service there, and smokers are extremely unwelcome, as it can get tinder dry, as a former Guider I can tell you that at some times we had to use gas cylinders rather than cook on open fires because of the fire risk.
I felt extremely lucky to enter the reserve and be shown many little terns nesting in the harbour, and right up close to the hide there, I was so lucky, but the joy of all the sea birds made me appreciate the work that goes on there all year round. If you decide to visit then this is a definate must site, of all the places to go, this has something all year round!
o:D

Hi Nina,

Never really visited Dorset but your place descriptions make me want to do so the next chance I get, particularly Brownsea Island
for the red squirrels!
:t: B :)

james

I'm not too sure what flew over my head as I was returning home from Poole but as I was coming over Canford Bridge into Wimborne a large black bird, Heron Type flew overhead, I didn't get much time to look closely as I was driving at the time, Does anyone know if a Glossy Ibis has entered the Stour Estuary? Having never seen one before and the fact that little egrets are here in fairly good numbers, does this mean that there is a chance? The big dissappointment for me is I cannot access the riverside to view the birds in the trees!
Thanks for letting me know James, I just thought that it would be a good idea to post some facts for other members of BF to use on short breaks to the county, as there are some fascinating places, but ones you wouldn't actually think of visiting, unless you knew something about them, so I'm attempting to give some inside information to other users of this section.
There are plenty of archaeological sites, and the main run of them are from Stonehenge, across the Wimborne Deer park and up to the Cranborne Chase, several of which have been seen on "Meet the Ancestors" and a couple of "Time Teams" but last year there was a "Wessex archaeological dig" close to Knowlton Church just off the main road to Cranborne last year, but the Church protected by English Heritage has a massive display of cowslips there every year, so vast that they make the earth works around the site look yellow, and that is an astounding sight to behold, I think I will try and take some pictures and post them here next spring.

Very interesting reading, Nina, and reminding me of places I visited as a child, but unfortunately with no idea of the range of wildlife these places had to offer. Definitely worth a re-visit, without the shrieking noisy relatives of my childhood!!!

I have seen a posting on Portland, and the windfarm they plan to erect, I'm hoping to go there soon, but was trying to work my way from east to west, so from Bournemouth, the next step would be Sandbanks to Swanage, but I'd have to add a cautionary note to this........ There is a Naturist beach between Sandbanks and Swanage, so birding there is a little bit tricky, unless you are prepared to go naked!! but there are several good areas for watching the coastline for Dolphins and Basking sharks, the cliffs for the cliff dwelling and nesting birds, plus the beauty of the herpetological creatures too, Sand lizards are reported to be thriving there, along with Adders and slowworms. This area is mainly sandy acid heathland so all the acid loving plants do really well and June and July can be ablze with colour from azaleas and rhododendrons, as long as it's not too hot otherwise they'd be over in a flash. I'm not a regular along this stretch as it is rather taxing trying to negotiate some of the terrain but I used to love it when I was fully able to make the haul.
If anyone has anything they feel they can add to this please feel free to do so.

St Catherines hill.

I revisited this off the byway site today, and was not dissappointed, as there were a terriffic number of Jays screaming at the Magpies, and I did try and walk the whole hill, wich though much reduced from my youth, they have made a rather rough track for wheelchairs, but mine isn't man enough to do the hilly bits. I was delighted to see that the Herpetological Society Trust have managed to get it designated an SSSI and stopped the progress of houses over the top of the hill, there are three views I want to show, so first one is over Bournemouth.
:king:

Attachments

• hpim0028a.jpg
    hpim0028a.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 287
Next view, Dudsbury

I managed to take a good number of rests to reach this poit looking over Dudsbury, and there is a little golfcourse, there were also busy tractor noises, as though they were trying to get done before the rain comes that is due overnight, but the trees are very distressed, due to the drought we are experiencing, and to the accompaniment of Helicopters, on the constant lookout for fire. I was thrilled to note that this site is also perfect for the Dartford Warbler, Nightjars, Smoothsnakes and sand lizards. SO those interested might be well advised to take a quiet walk here
.:bounce:

Attachments

• hpim0032a.jpg
    hpim0032a.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 282
Look-out over the river Avon.

This last view is over the other side of the Hill, and my most poinient memory, I can remember the helicopters collision over a packed Fairgound and regatta one August, and whilst watching the airiel display saw two collide and crash, as I lived on the quay at that time and the rest of my family were there I bolted from there in shock, but on reaching the area had to tell police my home was down there, but fortunately no-one was hurt, including the pilots, but a few homes needed some rather dramatic repairs.
This view showed my the area where I used to live and the farm area where I grew up.
I couldn't tell if the Sundews were still there as the dryness made any walking treacherous, and now all must adhere to the paths, so access denied to where my dad showed me this strange plant.
Today has been the first time I have been back since the crash.

Attachments

• hpim0042.jpg
    hpim0042.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 272
Today I decided to find out what the Tourist Information Office had in the way of help for visitors to the locality, I have come home with a large pile of details, some on places to stay and some on what to do where to go and all that sort of thing, considering the time of year they did have quite a lot of things, so I'm going to attempt to study the offers covering Dorset Hampshire and Wiltshire, but I will try and put the info in the right counties when I have read these things through, that way I'll be able to help anyone looking for places to stay, especially as there are some dodgy places at the moment. Its a shame the news seems to report the bad side of any area, so if anyone wants to get the real lowdown, I'll do my best to guide them away from the trouble hot spots. Nina

St Catherines Hill Chainsaw Massacre Planned!

In the local evening paper there is a report on the Chainsaw Massacre Planned for this very sensitive place, instigated by the herpetological conservation trust to destroy 25 hectares of trees!! I do hope it isn't all over the top of the hill, as that would be dreadful! The east side of the Hill is over grown and definately needs reinstating to the heathland it was originally, and to let the rare sundews and cotton grasses that used to be there return, but the ammount of trees that have been reduced to less than half, over the top of the hill must not be touched, as the herpetological creatures still need that cover for breeding. The regular dog walkers are up in arms too, as it is such a sensitive site I really do hope they don't take it too far! If you are in any mind to help to keep it preserved please write to " Director of Community Services, Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch, Dorset. BH23 1AZ. asking to keep the trees on the top of the hill, but clear the east side only, down into the Avon Valley. Thank you to any who feel the same as I do, and respond to the civvies plans.
:eek!:

Reprieve won!

A reprieve has been won on the chainsaw massacre planned! I wrote a letter asking the council to be aware that this site has been already severely deforested from my childhood and further removal would severely spoil what was the last remaining vestige of ancient woodland in the area, and that if tree removal was required it should only be on the east facing slopes, where the sundews used to grow but nothing more should be taken off the top, well after the discovery of a body in dense undergrowth, the felling was stopped then the council decided that there was no need to fell anymore, so I'm really delighted to inform those who may have written that due to the number of postal complaints the felling has been declined! YES the pen is mightier than the chainsaw!;)

Arne Heath RSPB

I visited this while on holiday last month. The Dartford Warbler was hard work, involving long periods scanning across the heather (a bit like seawatching, in purple!) but I saw two in the end. More of a bonus was the Spoonbill in with the Little Egrets at the South end of Middlebere lake. Redstarts, Tree pipits, Stonechats all featured, but I think my favourite bird was the Treecreeper I had in the the mature trees between the car park and the field at the beginning of the trail across the heath; because I thought it looked 'Treecreeperish', I stood and looked - and there it was.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back